Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Passthrough Changes with v17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's not properly working driver wise, at least on firetv, shield. And it's not properly implemented in Kodi. So if you have audio issues and have it enabled, disable it and retry.
Ok i've done some testing with kodi-20170119-28c689e-notsoshitty-armeabi-v7a on my "Shitty" Sony X85C running Android 5,1

With RC I only got PCM to my receiver when playing a movie with DTS Sound. And now on DTS I get Dolby Digital Surround. witch is much better then only PCM :-)

These are my settings:

- Sync playback to display on or off does not matter
- Number of channels 2.0 (Change to 5.1 only PCM)
- Output configuration: Best Match
- Allow Passtrough
- Dolby Digital AC3 capable receiver
- Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) Transcoding
- Dolby Digital Plus E-AC3 Capable Receiver

Maybe i've missed it but has anyone been able to get DTS working on an Philips or Sony Android TV??
(2017-01-20, 09:10)Supernovasx Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe i've missed it but has anyone been able to get DTS working on an Philips or Sony Android TV??

It is only possible via transcoding, as you currently have with your settings, due to API v22 limitations.
Only thing @fritsch did was lowering AC3 transcoding bitrate on Android (from o640Kbit/s > 384Kbit/s > 448Kbit/s) to make it work on those TV's.
Theres nothing else he can do for us...as firmware on MTK chipsets used on those TV's is buggy and locks up on 640Kbit/s AC3

What will 6.0.1 bring onto table, I have currently no idea, as I have not received it yet.
I will definately test different options, when I finally have it on mine and report here to, what has changed and how Kodi behaves.

(2017-01-20, 09:10)Supernovasx Wrote: [ -> ]- Sync playback to display on or off does not matter

This setting is only useful, if you have something with 640Kbit/s AC3 stream on your library, as it would (by implementation to keep things in sync with display) force it to be resampled and transcoded to lower bitrate AC3 instead of just passing it trough. Otherwise, you would get silence (due to firmware bug, mentioned perviosly, audiotrack locks up) and to make audio work again you would have to restart your TV.

(2017-01-20, 09:10)Supernovasx Wrote: [ -> ]- Number of channels 2.0 (Change to 5.1 only PCM)

Does not work on Philips, output would be still PCM2.0
And avoid "PCM hack", or your hearing and wife will leave you...permanently...
(2017-01-20, 09:53)Etzi Wrote: [ -> ]What will 6.0.1 bring onto table, I have currently no idea, as I have not received it yet.
OT here, but..... this
(2017-01-20, 10:36)kinggo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-20, 09:53)Etzi Wrote: [ -> ]What will 6.0.1 bring onto table, I have currently no idea, as I have not received it yet.
OT here, but..... this

Yeah, as I have said earlier...I don't have any high hopes...

What I do know is that this permissions problem, should not hit me, I use samba shares (with read-only permissions for Kodi user).
Writing stuff to those shares is done outside of Kodi.
(2017-01-19, 22:56)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]v17 already has correct pause bursts. If the IEC pcm hack builds and the normal builds don't produce PT sound for you, you have another issue. Something not related to kodi.

Edit: In your case, you have enabled "Adjust refreshrate" which causes issues and is therefore not suggested on Android at all. Second the log shows mediacodec issues after refreshrate switching. Try with a sample that works without mediacodec, e.g.: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...20Test.avi (disable mediacodec and mediacodec (surface)) try with

that build: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
and with a normal kodi v17 build with the proper API

By default "MediaCodec" and "MediaCodec (Surface)" are enabled and "Adjust display refresh rate" is disabled.
At your suggestion in an earlier post I disabled "MediaCodec (Surface)", but must have misinterpreted part of the information and enabled "Adjust display refresh rate".
Also I can tell you that playback of some video files with MediaCodec completely disabled on this device sucks. But to be fair, the testing I did was with it both enabled and disabled.
And the results were the same regardless, if pass-through worked with it enabled, it worked with disabled. And if pass-through did not work with enabled, it did not work with it disabled.

So here are the results;

kodi-20170118-e3c9330-shitty-armeabi-v7a.apk did not work.
kodi 17 rc4 test build log

kodi-17.0-Krypton_rc3-armeabi-v7a.apk did not work, and it shouldn't, there is no PCM pass-through hack.
kodi 17 rc3 log

kodi-20160901-ae5fc7c-master-armeabi-v7a.apk works.
kodi 17 beta2 log

So in conclusion, however the hack was implemented in the early Kodi 17 audio engine, it worked.
In the latest versions, not so much.
But on the bright side, re-disabling "Adjust display refresh rate" seems to have fixed the video playback issues I was experiencing.
Does the code in the "shitty" branch contain the "PCM hack"? And am I right in saying that this hack will allow DTS passthrough (like in SPMC)? I'd like to experiment with it, and am happy to build directly if necessary but want to understand the different changes in the various branches (shitty, firetv, notsoshitty, testagain, goodpatched etc).

Rest easy that my cats have been issued with hearing protection
Spmc bases on Kodi 16. The pcm hack is the default there. For regular pt packages are first encapsulated and then extracted in the sink. Spmc sends no IEC pause bursts, so it's more likely you receive noise on playback start, stop, underrun.It tries to filter it out which causes av desync.

In short: partially.
What ist the preferred configuration for better sound quality, set the channels to 2.0 and transcode to DD 5.1 or set 5.1 and get DTS via PCM?
I think PCM because it has a higher bitrate, right?
If your device can do multichannel PCM, it is always the best option as PCM is usually transparent and lossless.
+1
Ok Thx,
yes, my Onkyo can do multichannel PCM
Hi.
On my SONY Bravia KD55XD7005 passthrough not working.
From DD and DTS sources I have always PCM 2.0 on my AVR.
Any ideas Huh

https://paste.ubuntu.com/23834616/
You toyed with ADSP - fix that first.
Yes. I see problem with DSP too.
How can her fix ?