Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Passthrough Changes with v17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, thank you

I have started downloading the Shitty Build. It says that "it fakes passthrough via PCM as Jarvis did." Is that pretty much the same as when you choose a different setting on your amp, like THX, TV Logic, All Channel select etc etc?

Thanks again for your help, and i'm sorry i've made you repeat yourself.
Nope, sadly not.

The PCM-Hack does the following: PT audio in IEC mode is shipped in so called IEC frames. Those frames tell what they have in it. Those IEC frames are transmitted via a 16 bit format. They are using a certain bandwidth. E.g. DTS / AC3 are send via 48 khz (44.1 khz) and 2 channels. DTS-HD / TrueHD via 192 khz and 8 channels. Channels in that regard are only used to describe the bandwidth.

You can think of a IEC package like a birthday present. The very moment the receiver knows how to unpack these, it will succesfully unpack the DTS / AC3 / EAC3 ... in it and it will play well. Now there is a problem though. The very moment the postman that ships these IEC packages does not know if those packages can be e.g. combined with certain other packages (resampled) or pushed a little (set volume), which would be a problem for the inner content of these packages.

So the good case:
Android sees the data coming in as 16 bit wise shipped packages and does neither resample them and does not change the packages volume. If that is given - everything is fine and the AVR will successfully receiver the content of the packages. In order to do that. We tell Android: Ey Android - please set your volume to 100% to not touch anything, so that we can savely unpack the IEC packages later on.

But now something evil (might happen). Beginning with Android 5 - the AudioTrack (the postman sending audio packages) has a certain shelf where it might store the packages, trying to combine the packages with others, trying to alter the packages (resampling) to better fit in the current post-car. If this happens the non interpretable content of your package gets broken.

If this happens: you will hear plain noise on your AVR in full volume - this will kill your ears.

Therefore we changed that in kodi v17. We only ship the passtrhough audio stuff if there is a special, secure post-service, that e.g. tells us: Yes, I got it - i won't touch the packet content, I won't mix it - I will even block the post-car so long until all your packages are transmitted.

The "shitty" build reintroduces the Jarvis behaviour of sending PT audio. A sidenote: The so called PCM hack in Jarvis is even more dangerous as it is now in v17. As in Jarvis plain "zeros", e.g. packages with the packaging the receiver / AVR was not able to unpack properly, were sent. Therefore it's quite common in Jarvis that you get a seconf of noise on start and after stop by default.

Any questions left?

In pictures:
Jarvis:
Krypton:

PS: Both in that picture paid the same price.
Nope thats been quite helpful.

Thank you very much for putting up with me.
Do you also realize, that my intention when implementing the v17 way of doing PT was in no way aimed at breaking user setups?

For those that know about the danger of Jarvis' PT mode I provide the other builds - but make clear with its name, that what it does it not fun at all.
@fritsch

Is LibreELEC kodi support any files formats without any glitch?

Can I play all audio format like dsf without loosing audio quality?
(2017-02-13, 13:57)mrtr32 Wrote: [ -> ]@fritsch

Is LibreELEC kodi support any files formats without any glitch?

No. As I know at least one video it does not play. Don't ask a mathematician such self fullfilling questions ...

Quote:Can I play all audio format like dsf without loosing audio quality?
DSF passthrough supported NOWHERE - I said this now the 10th time to you. As there is no audio card that transmits 352 khz as of now - the best you can get is 352 / 2 khz in output, which LE does obviously. Besides that ffmpeg's DSF decoder is lossless - there is no difference (besides the samplerate) to decoding in your AVR.
Hi fritsch,
(2017-02-12, 14:16)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, sadly not.

The PCM-Hack does the following .....
this is a great explanation of what changed here regarding audio transmission ...
(2017-02-11, 23:10)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone else please test the posted .dsf file with the atfix build I linked above? Works fine on my machines. Make sure you have at least 5.1 layout enabled in kodi.

Testversion: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
DSF-File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fom071yvdx9c78...9.dsf?dl=0

On something Android. on my linux boxes all fine.
Just testing on my shield, will let you know ...
Tested the shitty build on my Shield 2015 and sad but true passthrough works with an hdmi splitter via toslink.

Did i underatand right that the shield should work with the official build?

Here is a debug log playing the same movie with the official build and passthrough not working: http://paste.ubuntu.com/23942864

Hope that helps.

Edit: with the version Holger is currently testing passthrough does not work on my shield
Fritsch,

I just wanted to thank you for the shitty build - on my Sony XBR65X850C using SPDIF to my Onkyo receiver, I can now finally hear multichannel audio out of all of my formats:
DTS/AC3 play natively, and AAC plays by transcoding to AC3 (sucks that I have to do that, but I'll one day buy a new receiver that supports ARC so I can use HDMI instead - I've just been waiting for worthwhile 4K media adoption to justify the new purchase).

Anyway, I get where you are coming from regarding making manufacturers fix their shitty firmware - but since it took Sony over a year to finally release a Marshmallow build, the chances of them ever fixing this are next to nill :/

I appreciate the "use at your own risk" build you provided, though!
(2017-02-13, 23:26)hannemann Wrote: [ -> ]Tested the shitty build on my Shield 2015 and sad but true passthrough works with an hdmi splitter via toslink.

Here is a debug log playing the same movie with the official build and passthrough not working: http://paste.ubuntu.com/23942864

Hope that helps.

Edit: with the version Holger is currently testing passthrough does not work on my shield

v17 PT was developed on a shield via hdmi out ... so yes, it works there - perfectly ...
Are there any news on your cooperation with Amazon? They at least are also using MediaTek on their Fire TV 4K box.

How broken are those? Fire TV Stick and 4K use different chipsets. So I guess different behaviour there (Broadcom Capri 28155 vs. MediaTek MT8173)?
They had no interest in fixing anything, the content they sell works...
I am using a HDM to HDMI and Composite Splitter for Hyperion too. Recommended for Hyperion is a HDMI to 2x HDMI Splitter and an HDMI to Analog Converter. My device does both and seemed to be perfect for the job but sadly breaks Passthrough. If i remove the device passthrough is working fine. Sorry

I cannot find a link to that device anymore but if one owns such a device and passthrough is not working just give it a try.

The Audio Splitter i am using can fliter out the noise on startup of AC3 Content in jarvis but does not break passthrough but is now obsolete.

I will buy an HDMI to 2x HDMI Splitter and try to get passthrough and Hyperion working with that setup.
Hi Hannemann,

(2017-02-13, 23:26)hannemann Wrote: [ -> ]Tested the shitty build on my Shield 2015 and sad but true passthrough works with an hdmi splitter via toslink.

(2017-02-14, 10:23)hannemann Wrote: [ -> ]I am using a HDM to HDMI and Composite Splitter for Hyperion too. Recommended for Hyperion is a HDMI to 2x HDMI Splitter and an HDMI to Analog Converter. My device does both and seemed to be perfect for the job but sadly breaks Passthrough. If i remove the device passthrough is working fine.
I'm using this HDMI Switch with toslink. On the shield and any recent official nightly 17.1 it's working just fine. Though you'll only get AC3/DTS 5.1 out of it, as TOSLINK is not designed for 7.1, Atmos or anyone of those newer formats (if I followed the NVidia Shield thread right).
(2017-02-15, 00:00)Holger Kühn Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using this HDMI Switch with toslink. On the shield and any recent official nightly 17.1 it's working just fine. Though you'll only get AC3/DTS 5.1 out of it, as TOSLINK is not designed for 7.1, Atmos or anyone of those newer formats (if I followed the NVidia Shield thread right).

Hi,

I have the same problem - v17.0 won't play DTS/DTS-CD media on android 6.0 TV Box using decoder of AVR. V16.1 playing DTS well but DTS-CD Media with higher speed....
Correct me if I'm wrong, if I'll use connected to Android TV Box (Amlogic based) some HDMI splitter to HDMI + SPDIF (optical) then I will be able to use my multichannel DTS media with decoders of AVRs and Passthrough mode in Kodi?

PS. I don't have AVRs with HDMI.... My old are all top of sound quality and superb. And I don't need it for movies... but for music (from digital media I prefer multichannel SACD and DTS over any other digital formats).

Thanks in advance for your answer.