Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Passthrough Changes with v17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-03-31, 16:50)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]If it's S905 and Android 5 - everything should be fine. If it's S905 and the prebaked, home cooked, never meant serious old and outdated v6 release - it's bad.
It is Android 5.1, but doesn't work as expected. Anyway thank you for your help.
Last time I tested it on a amlogic 5.1 device (wetek play) everything was fine, including dts-hd, truehd.
(2017-03-31, 19:16)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Last time I tested it on a amlogic 5.1 device (wetek play) everything was fine, including dts-hd, truehd.
I don't need dts. Ac3 is sufficient for my needs, so I enabled transcoding and ac3 passthrough. And as expected output in DD or PCM (depends on source) and I can not change volume in android. So passthrough is working. Side effect of this is that after streaming DD sound disappeared everywhere, except other DD output. Looks like somehow output switched to DD and doesn't process PCM data anymore. 16.1 doesnt have such problem probably because different way of PT.

Manufacturer already notified and let see what they thinking about this problem.

Meanwhile I would like to build cody from sources and that modify to use old way of passthrough. I hope i will be able to do this.
Whats exactly the difference between this builds.
Maybe you can explain this in the main thread?

Quote:kodi-20170330-a871d11-aspect-armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170329-7f7b747-aspect-armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170330-2f81126-bumpSamba-armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170329-391b889-CueSheets-armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170325-905379c-leanbackL-armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170323-7d34e5a-retroplayer-android-armea..>
kodi-20170321-ae91f5e-python27droidL-armeabi-v7..>
kodi-20170320-fab7a03-notsoshitty-armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170320-d2c0f26-shitty-armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170319-baa8061-jnidependsL-armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170320-fc1619b-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170319-cf3a85b--armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170318-e8114f0--armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170312-537e22c-input-fixes-armeabi-v7a.apk
kodi-20170312-00d7ba2-notsoshitty-armeabi-v7a.apk

I even don`t know the difference between shitty and notsoshitty,...

I use a S912 Yoka KB2 crap box and the shitty version - works so far - but maybe there is a better one Wink
PHILIPS 65pus7601 user here - just updated to Marshmallow 6.0 and I wish I never have.

DTS passthrough still not working for 3rd party apps, AC3 for us Philips users is still not fixed *640kbps does not play* and videos have stutters along with audio when transcoding to AC3.
It's a little bit better in the SPMC branch (video doesn't stutter, just the sound).

Tried with every option there is (sync to video/enable-disable vsync/etc.)

No go.
Any help would be appreciated, as this TV is now useless to me OS wise.
Sony and Philips Android TV sets just have an awefully slow processor. However, also Kodi eats way more CPU time than other media players do...
Used to work just fine on Android 5.1.
The problem came with QM163E_U_0.6.188.12 (a.k.a. the Android 6.0 update).
I wonder if these surround sound issues will ever get resolved. If Kodi wants people to use their software then they need to fix this.

Sent from my LG-LS997
And if someone wants to leave meningful comment, he should inform himself on the matter a bit.
(2017-04-03, 09:29)maddog510 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if these surround sound issues will ever get resolved. If Kodi wants people to use their software then they need to fix this.

I wonder if you realize those are firmware / api / SoC issue, not Kodi's...
And, btw, we already have far too much users vs. our volunteering workforce.
I did simple way: get from git, patched and released my own version. 16.1 behavior is back. Anyway I do adjust volume using tv or receiver so incidental full volume noise should not cause any significant problems. DTS passthrough is not required for my setup. IEC version of passthrough work well on my device too with one weird side effect PCM sound disappear until I reboot a box. So I will try to fix this, then I will not need to use passthrough patch from 16.1. But per fritsch, it is "firmware issue", so my fix will be for my particular model in my own version of code.

I understand kodi developers, particularly fritsch: code with a lot of customization will not be maintainable. Hardware manufacturers should follow standards. Or they can clone and produce own versions if they want. But most of the manufacturers, I believe, will ignore any problem. We may expect only that they will fix problems for new devices only.
Yes as an example the standard AMLogic Android Nougat SDK already has the required IEC support for Krypton HD Audio.
It's what MINIX, WeTeK and Xiaomi are already using with back ported Nougat IEC code with their Marshmallow Firmware devices.
(2017-04-03, 20:01)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]It's what MINIX, WeTeK and Xiaomi are already using with back ported Nougat IEC code with their Marshmallow Firmware devices.
Mine is MyGica. I already reported a bug to them, but don't expect they will fix it soon. They still run 5.1. Now I am trying to run libreelec on this box, but it is not a trivial task.
Hi Guys.
I dont want to come on here asking dumb questions and i have done some research. I sat and read the first 20 pages of this post, and then skimmed through the rest, but i'm still somewhat unsure.

Now i Have an amazon FireTV Stick. like most kodi 16.1 worked fine, DTS, DD etc, and i understand the changes etc that have 'broken' this and why they were implemented.

my confusion lies where people are saying to set 2.0 speakers, set pasthough on, AC3 on, AC3 transcode on. This doesnt work at all for me, but i haven't read anyone else with this problem.

I get pcm 2 channels fine, and i know other are complaining about DTS, ad i honestly wouldnt even mind DTS transcoded to AC3, but i cant get AC3 either. any time AC3 passthrough is turned on, whether it be a genuine AC3 file, or a different file being transcodes to AC3, i get bursts of white noise. 10 seconds of silence then another burst of white noise. i get this for whole length of file. I'm guessing this is what you are referring to by people ruining their ears etc with noise, but the strange thing is that i am using the official Kodi 17.1, not a modified version like people are asking for.

Is this normal?

Thanks
@fritsch: could you please build a 64bit shitty-version for Fire TV 2 next time? [emoji6]