Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: X265 10 bit on NUC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lo,

Just got a 4k set and have been trying to play some 2k and 4k 10 bit x265 files. While they do play it's in software only and max out my cpu so playback chugs. Is there a way to force hardware decoding of this content? I'm using an Intel d34010wyk by the way.

Cheers
What CPU does that have? I don't think there is ANY 10 bit HEVC decoding on Intel except perhaps with very recent models.
(2016-09-10, 09:29)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]What CPU does that have? I don't think there is ANY 10 bit HEVC decoding on Intel except perhaps with very recent models.

4th Gen i3, haswell
(2016-09-10, 09:32)pinn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-10, 09:29)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]What CPU does that have? I don't think there is ANY 10 bit HEVC decoding on Intel except perhaps with very recent models.

4th Gen i3, haswell

Haswell has no HEVC/h.265 hardware decode - whether for 8 bit or 10 bit. There is no way to force hardware encoding for content that your CPU has no hardware decode for. The Haswell series didn't have on-board HEVC decode. There were Windows drivers that used Hybrid techniques (using the h.264 hardware decode systems for the processes that were common with HEVC/h.265, and just shifting the new processes to CPU decode - but I don't think they migrated to Linux).

Haswell i3 will be software decode only for HEVC/h.265 content encoded using the x265 encoder. (x265 isn't a codec - just one of a number of encoders used to generate HEVC/h.265 content) I doubt you'll have any luck with 2160p h.265 content.
A Haswell celeron will decode 1080p hevc at moderate bitrates. http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Haswell