Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Piracy.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Wow I just read the list of banned add-ons. I'm completely stunned! I am so new at this and everything on my Kodi is banned. Unbelievable!?
(2016-09-23, 04:37)79davecampbell Wrote: [ -> ]Wow I just read the list of banned add-ons. I'm completely stunned! I am so new at this and everything on my Kodi is banned. Unbelievable!?

Why do you find it unbelievable? We do not support piracy here hence a lot of 3rd party add-ons are not supported or discussed. Piracy add-ons drag Kodi's good name through the mud.

Kodi is superb, reliable software for playing back your own legally owned local content as well as streaming from legitimate legal add-ons.
(2016-09-23, 10:16)Dangelus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-23, 04:37)79davecampbell Wrote: [ -> ]Wow I just read the list of banned add-ons. I'm completely stunned! I am so new at this and everything on my Kodi is banned. Unbelievable!?

Why do you find it unbelievable? We do not support piracy here hence a lot of 3rd party add-ons are not supported or discussed. Piracy add-ons drag Kodi's good name through the mud.

Kodi is superb, reliable software for playing back your own legally owned local content as well as streaming from legitimate legal add-ons.

I've just posted on this exact subject! It drives me mad seeing Kodi named as the bad guy!

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=291883
Ok. Do how do you know which are the legal add-ons? Is there a way to tell?
(2016-09-24, 15:40)79davecampbell Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. Do how do you know which are the legal add-ons? Is there a way to tell?

If you're getting pay TV for free or are paying someone a ridiculously low fee for said content then rest assured its not legal or supported here.

Legal addons will be available via the official Kodi repositories or these forums.
(2016-09-24, 15:40)79davecampbell Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. Do how do you know which are the legal add-ons? Is there a way to tell?

yes there is a way: use your brain. all addons that offer content i would normally pay for are banned, i think that isnt much complicated...
(2016-09-24, 16:25)Ed76 Wrote: [ -> ]use your brain..

^^^^^^^^^^
Common sense should apply. As with anything else, if it seems to good to be true then it probably is.

Anything offering TV shows, channels or movies for free that you'd normally need to pay for, or shouldn't be available in the offered format (eg add-ons offering movies that are still in theatres) are banned here.

Similarly any repo which features any such banned add-on (wiki) can itself be considered banned, regardless of whether it also offers proper legitimate ones as well.

If in doubt, just ask.
If someone sells you a 'magic box' that promises you premium pay TV and newly released movies, all for free, then it's probably pirated, yeah.

Kinda like if someone wants to sell you a Ferrari for $5000. They probably stole it 20 mins ago.
.............or if an addon called internet archive Rom launcher lets you download and stream copyright games for free, then it's probably pirated.... oh no wait...... Team Kodi supports this so it's okay.
(2016-09-25, 13:59)Big Aero Wrote: [ -> ].............or if an addon called internet archive Rom launcher lets you download and stream copyright games for free, then it's probably pirated.... oh no wait...... Team Kodi supports this so it's okay.

Its legal for them because archive.org is officially an internationally recognized library, learn2web noob
Unfortunately KODI has had to ban addons that provide copyrighted content. KODI has only ever supported the open user community but, are being unjustly judged by the public for the actions of addons developed for the purposes of exploiting content that is openly available regardless of copyrights. If KODI is to survive it must protect itself by informing the general public of the difference between KODI software and additional software developed run "ON" KODI. Much like any other media server, BluRay, DVD etc.. the device does not have much control over the content the user provides Nerd
S'funny....I don't remember giving permission for some of my game ROMs to be given away free on archive.org - especially since (technically) I should be getting royalty payments for them even after all this time. And I know with 100% certainty that at least one of the companies involved has specifically refused permission for the distribution and supply of their ROMs for free in any way shape or form (there's still money to be made off them apparently, even the old 8bit stuff.)

Still, you say it's an "officially internationally recognized library" apparently so that's OK, I'm sure Nintendo are happy with that.

Now before you hit me upside the head with your "learn2web noob" stick consider this.....here is an apparently authorized Kodi add-on that allows for the supply and use of demonstrably copyrighted material without the IP owner's consent. Yes the add-on is only acting as a conduit between Kodi and the source of this copyright material but isn't that the same accusation being levelled at other 'pirated movie'-type add-ons?

I would have just let this by and said nothing but there's something about the way Fail$tyle420 flippantly responds that just makes me want to scratch that itch. So here's the bottom line..... How much are Team Kodi going to pay me and my colleagues for supporting an add-on that allows our copyrighted games to be pirated to others? I accept Paypal BTW.
(2016-09-25, 19:27)Stoofer Wrote: [ -> ]S'funny....I don't remember giving permission for some of my game ROMs to be given away free on archive.org - especially since (technically) I should be getting royalty payments for them even after all this time. And I know with 100% certainty that at least one of the companies involved has specifically refused permission for the distribution and supply of their ROMs for free in any way shape or form (there's still money to be made off them apparently, even the old 8bit stuff.)

Send them a notice to take down and they will, pretty easy if you were actually interested.

(2016-09-25, 19:27)Stoofer Wrote: [ -> ]Still, you say it's an "officially internationally recognized library" apparently so that's OK, I'm sure Nintendo are happy with that.

Nintendo sent them a copyright notice for having nintendo power magazines on there. If they wanted to remove the roms it would be as easy as sending an email like they did for nintendo power magazines, learn2web noob.

(2016-09-25, 19:27)Stoofer Wrote: [ -> ]Now before you hit me upside the head with your "learn2web noob" stick consider this.....here is an apparently authorized Kodi add-on that allows for the supply and use of demonstrably copyrighted material without the IP owner's consent. Yes the add-on is only acting as a conduit between Kodi and the source of this copyright material but isn't that the same accusation being levelled at other 'pirated movie'-type add-ons?

No, as Nintendo may not have any idea about kodi accessing all the roms, they have given their consent (by not issuing a take down notice, which they know they can do) for the library to hold/distribute it for free.

(2016-09-25, 19:27)Stoofer Wrote: [ -> ]I would have just let this by and said nothing but there's something about the way Fail$tyle420 flippantly responds that just makes me want to scratch that itch. So here's the bottom line..... How much are Team Kodi going to pay me and my colleagues for supporting an add-on that allows our copyrighted games to be pirated to others? I accept Paypal BTW.

LOL, if you were really interested in royalties, go see the provider. You can code a game, but don't know how to send a take down email? LOL, please......
It seems to me that there is a lot of legally available media online, both free and paid. But the LEGAL Kodi addoons seem to handle it piecemeal. Use one addon for Fox News, another for Euronews. Or Bravo. Or yadda, yadda, yadda.

The pirate addons are popular because they consolidate a lot of content - legal or illegal - in one place and make it easy to find things. If the Kodi community were to make an official addon that brought as much of the legal content together as possible and organized it in an easy to navigate manner, then a lot of the appeal for pirated media would fall away.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5