Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Anyway to have collections/groups of TV shows so theyre not all in one big list?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys

Is there any way to create kind of collections or groups for TV shows in Kodi? I know movies can be grouped into collections, but at the moment we just hve everything all showing in one long list, and I'd rather be able to have them grouped into smaller collections, such as Usual Shows, New To Try, Comedy, that sort of thing. Is there any way to do that?

I know I could set up a seperate profile for each, but that would be a clunky way of doing it as it would require logging in and out all the time.

Thanks
Smart playlists is one way.
Mine (for example) are split into 'tv shows' (ones I watch), 'kids tv', 'shared tv shows' (ones we can all watch), 'cartoons.'
I do it by path (ie drop a tv show into a particular folder, then use <path> and <startswith> in the playlist), but you can see all the sorting options in the gui.
Check the wiki / search here for examples.

Edit: obviously you need a skin that lets you stick smart playlists on the home screen. There are plenty of choices.
Thanks troggy. I use Confluence on my Nvidia Shield TV as it's always been quick and responsive. I'll have a look on the wiki.... don't suppose you could recommend a couple of decent clean looking skins to try could you? Smile
(2016-09-23, 16:14)Finchy Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks troggy. I use Confluence on my Nvidia Shield TV as it's always been quick and responsive. I'll have a look on the wiki.... don't suppose you could recommend a couple of decent clean looking skins to try could you? Smile
I use xonfluence on everything (with all the extras turned off) - I found that (and CCM, which it came from) customizable and light enough to work on anything, so I've stuck with it for a few years. On the Shield you have loads of options though - Titan's a good one to check out, Aeon Nox is popular for good reason - but tbh I'm the wrong person to ask. Just browse the skins section.
Thanks. I've just installed Kodi on my laptop to have a play with it so I don't make a mess of it on my Shield!

Looks like the playlists thing needs a bit of reading time so I'll wait until I have some time to do it uninterrupted!
I like that Xonfluence. I have the different types of TV show and movies in different folder so I've just added shortcuts under Movies and TV Shows for each folder, works a treat, thanks! Smile
I do that for folders I haven't scanned to the library (sports, home videos) - for anything in my library I use smart playlists to get all the artwork and metadata.
They take 2 minutes to create in the gui, and you can link to them in xonfluence in another 2 ticks.
eg one of mine:
Quote:<smartplaylist type="movies">
<name>HD Films</name>
<match>all</match>
<rule field="path" operator="startswith">
<value>smb://Source HD Films</value>
</rule>
<group mixed="true">sets</group>
<order direction="ascending">sorttitle</order>
</smartplaylist>
That shows any film in my 'HD Films' folder with all the same info / art I see in 'Movies'.

If you're happy with the file view that's fine, but if you have a library it seems a shame not to use all that metadata.

If you're not using the library what you've done is spot on though.
Thanks.

I have a folder for each show inside those folders, so "Our Usuals" for example then has another folder for each show and Kodi picks up all the artwork and metadata itself. For movies I tend to use Ember to pull in the artwork and metadata before moving them over to my library, but even when I don't Kodi still pulls in the art and data itself. Having the shortcuts to each folder under TV means we can go into TV for all shows, or go into a subfolder through a shortcut (so it's not so overwhelming!), so I like that.

I tend to delete episodes once we've watched them, so there's always stuff being deleted as well as added, and with movies I move them to another folder on my NAS for Movie Archive, and I just run a clean every week or so to clear off the ones deleted.

I use Trakt to sync played episodes and movies, which then also (mostly!) syncs with my Plex media server (which I need to access the stuff on my iPad).

watch gallery

watch gallery

watch gallery
(2016-09-29, 18:22)Finchy Wrote: [ -> ]Having the shortcuts to each folder under TV means we can go into TV for all shows, or go into a subfolder through a shortcut (so it's not so overwhelming!), so I like that.
It's your system, your requirements - sounds like you've set up exactly what you want, so great. There's no 'right' way.
True! I prefer to keep it fairly simple and tidy, but the most important thing is that my wife understands it! Big Grin
(2016-09-29, 18:34)Finchy Wrote: [ -> ]True! I prefer to keep it fairly simple and tidy, but the most important thing is that my wife understands it! Big Grin
Sensible attitude.
You can also do something similar with video nodes (wiki). There's even the Add-on:Library Node Editor (wiki) to smooth seeing them up.