Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Zidoo X9S (X-series) 4K HDR / 3D / HD Audio / ZDMC (Kodi fork): Review & Use
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have the same set up LG OLED65E6P with Zidoo X9S. Someone pointed it out in the past. LG’s are working good with AUTO and 12 bit. Samsung’s are better with 10 bits for banding.
In general LG all AUTO except for Dynamic Range set to limited.
Thanks. How do I set dynamic range to limited ?

And also, what setting do you use on your tv for 3D please?

(2018-07-10, 17:29)3DBuff Wrote: [ -> ]I have the same set up LG OLED65E6P with Zidoo X9S. Someone pointed it out in the past. LG’s are working good with AUTO and 12 bit. Samsung’s are better with 10 bits for banding.
(2018-07-12, 07:29)Hail.ceasar Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. How do I set dynamic range to limited ?

And also, what setting do you use on your tv for 3D please?
(2018-07-10, 17:29)3DBuff Wrote: [ -> ]I have the same set up LG OLED65E6P with Zidoo X9S. Someone pointed it out in the past. LG’s are working good with AUTO and 12 bit. Samsung’s are better with 10 bits for banding.
 Limited dynamic range in Zidoo
Zidoo > Quick Settings > Display > Advanced Settings > HDMI Range Mode 16-235

As far as TV adjustments it is very wide subject. There are hundreds of pages with owners threads and even more with debates about LG motion handling and settings. OLED screens are very fast and 24fps film material looks juddery and strobing without interpolated frames. On the other hand LCD based screens (all non OLED) have blur on frame transitions helping with perceiving motion. There are very good postings on LG motion settings from @GlennTidbury.
Here is link to one of them but you can browse through this thread for many more:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled...t-26207504

Important is to update firmware to the latest. I'm on Korean version 5.30.30 on my North American OLED 65E6P. Latest firmware has a lot of improvements in motion handling. I think official NA version is 05.30.25 witch is good also.

I can share my settings but it depends a lot on personal preference (judder from 24fps film or soap opera effect from frame interpolation). LG E6 and G6 were probably the best 3D TV's ever build. I like 3D realism and I push it to the limit using frame interpolation. Only best quality 3D Blu-Rays or ISO files. Completely black room. My seating is about 8 to 10' away from 65" TV. Eye level should be just below center of the screen.
My TV is not calibrated. Most of the settings are default. Try not to change settings from default thinking it will give you a better image. Some of the settings will produce anomalies on the screen specially in 3D. I found it the hard way Wink

Here are some of my settings:
Under General set the HDMI Deep Color to on for Zidoo port
Under Picture > Energy Saving Medium (this reduces maximum brightness of the screen, I don't need very bright in the black room)
                    > Aspect Ratio Original and Just Scan
Picture Mode - Standard or ISF Expert Dark Room (all will work when set up Standard is shown for simplicity)
Standard > OLED LIGHT 80
              > Contrast 95
              > Brightness 50 (this should be adjusted per movie as needed. Typically is from 48 to 52 to keep deep blacks without clipping or glowing)
              > Sharpness 10 to 15
              > Color 55
> Avanced Controls > Dynamic Contrast OFF
                             > Dynamic Color OFF
                             > Color Gamut (I have it Wide Smile
                             > Super Resolution Low
                             > Gamma Medium
> Picture Options > Noise Reduction LOW
                          > MPEG Noise OFF
                          > Black Level Low
                          > Real Cinema On (it gets greyed out and disabled when TruMotion is used)
                          > TruMotion Clear (for all 3D good quality movies)

The only difference for regular 2D HD movies (not HDR) would be setting TruMotion to User and De-Judder 3 to 5 based on content and your liking. De-Blur stays at 0. It is only for 50 and 60 fps videos. TV keeps separate set of adjustments for 3D. You need to make all changes while 3D signal is on the TV.
Send me a PM if you need more info. This is Kodi / Zidoo thread  Wink

Note: One more point. LG motion processor gets overloaded working with 4K screen and 120Hz refresh rate. You need to kill all background active apps in order to free resources to motion processor. Long push on home button and X them all out. On occasion if something gets stuck and not looking right changing deep color any HDMI ports will force reboot.
Just tested the new v.2.0.34 firmware, and 10-bit output looks good to me, no banding. Below are the settings I used... I had first tried 'Auto' for all, and 4K HDR plays in 12-bit, but the picture is really dim (appears they broke 12-bit when fixing 10-bit). In any case, proper 10-bit is what we need, and this f/w appears to get it right. @OlivierQC and @wesk05, waiting to see what you see.

(2018-07-21, 20:42)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Just tested the new v.2.0.34 firmware, and 10-bit output looks good to me, no banding. Below are the settings I used... I had first tried 'Auto' for all, and 4K HDR plays in 12-bit, but the picture is really dim (appears they broke 12-bit when fixing 10-bit). In any case, proper 10-bit is what we need, and this f/w appears to get it right. @OlivierQC and @wesk05, waiting to see what you see.
In all my testing, I have never seen any real banding issue with the 10-bit output. It's the LG/Sony TV users that have been reporting banding issues with 10-bit output.

Edit: I haven't checked this latest firmware.
Ah okay. I had banding on Optoma UHD51A w/10-bit previously, and also 12-bit (unless I forced limited range).
(2018-07-21, 21:27)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Ah okay. I had banding on Optoma UHD51A w/10-bit previously, and also 12-bit (unless I forced limited range).
Weren't you testing with the "Auto" or 12-bit mode before?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2738802 (Info screen shows 12-bit 4:4:4)
Yes, but also with 10-bit I think. Both had banding, but now 10-bit doesn't.
(2018-07-21, 21:53)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, but also with 10-bit I think. Both had banding, but now 10-bit doesn't.
I see.
(2018-07-21, 20:42)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Just tested the new v.2.0.34 firmware, and 10-bit output looks good to me, no banding. Below are the settings I used... I had first tried 'Auto' for all, and 4K HDR plays in 12-bit, but the picture is really dim (appears they broke 12-bit when fixing 10-bit). In any case, proper 10-bit is what we need, and this f/w appears to get it right. @OlivierQC and @wesk05, waiting to see what you see.

do you have test blade runner 2049 "sand city"? it's good test for banding.
I do... is it at this point?

I just did a bit of testing on my LG E6. I haven't noticed banding before but I wasn't really looking for it either.  I was quite happy with Auto setting. Since you mentioned that 10 bit is fixed now and 12 bit possibly broken I did few tests myself.

Blade Runner 2049 as picture above entrance to deserted city starts at 1:40:30. I see a bit of banding with my previous default auto for Deep Color Mode. The banding gets stronger at brighter images like rings around the sun scenes at 1:58:37, 1:58:56, 1:59:18. Setting Deep Color Mode to 10 bit looks definitely better now compared to 12 bit or auto on LG TV.

HDMI Range Mode is still limited 16-235 for me on LG. Setting it to auto turns regular 8 bit video and pictures to very dark.
(2018-07-22, 01:43)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]I do... is it at this point?

or this point , taken with old firmware with lot of banding...

thank you for this very useful thread, read a lot of tips!

I have the LG OLED 65E6 and I'm wondering if it's correct when I play a 3D BluRay ISO my LG is telling me I'm getting 1080p... I've read at the 3D TV box summary thread: tid=221407
"Minor annoyance is that HDMI mode must be set to 3840x2160 so picture doesn't render at 1080p. However, with this, all content gets upscaled to 4K"
  (ideally to get 1080p per eye with a passive 3D tv, I need 2160p, so frame packed playback gives me 1080p per eye, right?)

I've tried that, also disabled "Auto resolution", enabled YST Mode in Developer settings and set manually to 4k and 23 fps, but the Zidoo X9S is still switching to 1080p when I start playback...

Tried the Home Theater and the Media center (=File manager ?)... as the ZDMC is no longer supported and not installed. Should I manually download and install ZDMC or how should 3D be played best?

many thanks for your advice...
@GregToR

Couple of things to clear up. Zidoo box has 1 default hardware player and one CPU software based Kodi player if you install ZDMC and select Kodi player. Every time you play a movie using Zidoo box from Media Center (file browser), Home Theater or default ZDMC player you will initialize Zidoo hardware player based on Realtek chipset. Second less favourable option is Kodi software / CPU based player without support for 3D MVC or 4K HDR videos.

More on players here:
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/...post-43080

To answer your question 3D ISO MVC files will look best using hardware default Zidoo player. By downloading ZDMC you still get the same player by default unless you specifically select Kodi player but than you don't get true 3D MVC.

With the recent firmware Zidoo xx.34 best settings for LG OLED E6 series would be all automatic except for "Limited Range" and "Deep Color Mode" set to 10bit. See articles above. The reference in the article you mentioned from the beginning of this thread about HDMI mode set to 3840x2160 for proper 4K is for earlier versions of Zidoo firmware before "Auto Mode" was developed for resolution and refresh rate auto switch.

The 3D display on LG 4K TV is still 1080p as far as TV is concerned. Using Zidoo player you are sending proper double stacked frames at 1920x2205. TV is doing all stretching, zooming and scaling behind the scenes to fit the image properly on 4K (3,840 x 2,160) display and interleave each eye between horizontal lines. LG TV's don't show much of info for input signal. Resolution is all you get. No info about refresh rate, color or any other aspects of the signal. 1080 for 3D is correct tag. There is no 4K 3D established yet.

I don't think you could actually see the double frame as raw signal on this TV screen. If you shut 3D off it will pick single eye and streach it to fir 4K display.

If you really want to see 2160 at the upper left corner of the screen with 3D you would need to send the signal already formatted as 3D for this display in 4K resolution. This can be done from PC computer using Kodi MVC version and selecting "Interlaced" for 3D mode. PC video card will take 3D Frame Packing stream and process it just like TV into 4K single frame with interleaved left and right eyes.
For the TV to display this correctly all image processing must be disabled. TV has to be in Game Mode or HDMI input labeled as PC.
This produces the cleanest 3D image. However there are serious drawbacks with this. The image is refreshed at 60Hz only causing 3:2 pulldown. There is no motion processing at all. OLED has fast display and without motion processing and interpolated frames motion appears juddery and strobing. You will get 2160p in the upper left corner of the screen in this setup and correct 3D Wink TV woudln't know it is a 3D signal Wink

At the end nothing too excited. I prefer 3D movies with good frame interpolation for in depth realizm Smile I have Tru-Motion mode set to "Clear" on the TV for 3D movies using Zidoo hardware player and let TV do the processing.