Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: my confusion with buffering on Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
firstly let me say that this post is not a bitch nor complaint

I'm 72 now and on State Pension, so cannot afford to pay for my TV & Sports and can honestly say that Kodi
has been a revelation for my and my wife - we now enjoy unlimited free sports, films and TV shows
that we never had access to before - and this is all down to the skill and goodwill of Kodi and the developers
we cannot thank you all enough

I am a quick learner though, and now have a very well configured Kodi 16.1 as our main entertainment.
buffering was a bit of an issue, but I have learned how to configure the advanced settings,
and have even forked out for an Nvidia Shield to better enjoy ourselves

however,
whilst I appreciate that people will say any buffering we still get is most likely to be due to the streams themselves, I cannot understand why a certain Android Sports app now banned on Google Play (M*****)
seems more stable.
I follow Ruby League's Super League games - mostly on Sly 2 and can often get stuttering and buffering ...
yet if I shut Kodi down and immediately go to that app, it is mostly rock solid (albeit with a worse quality picture)

I cannot understand then why one application does not buffer and the other does ...
especially when running on the same hardware, and using a stream from the same broadcaster
surely both get their streams from similar sources?

any ideas anyone?
(2016-09-24, 21:58)carkev Wrote: [ -> ]I'm 72 now and on State Pension, so cannot afford to pay for my TV & Sports and can honestly say that Kodi
has been a revelation for my and my wife - we now enjoy unlimited free sports, films and TV shows
that we never had access to before - and this is all down to the skill and goodwill of Kodi and the developers
[u]we cannot thank you all enough

Don't thank us, you have been misinformed.

Please read the forum rules and stance on pirated content. We do not condone, support or discuss it on this forum.

Free_content (wiki)

What these 3rd party individuals are doing, providing access to illegal pirated content only harms Kodi.
I apologise ... and understand you do not condone nor discuss 3rd party addons
but that app is not a Kodi addon and runs under Android OS itself
and as you are well aware, it is used by millions of folk

that said, all I was saying is true - it is usually totally stable on my setup, whereas Kodi is not
and I increasingly find myself having to revert to it rather than Kodi
so I find it hard to believe that buffering in Kodi is purely down to bad streams

I'll google why there is a performance difference, and if I get a sensible answer may get back to you