Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ideal HD file system for win/mac and android/libre
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone using any external HDs formatted to exFAT? I'm using a Mini MXIII with Libreelec v007 installed on NAND. I'm setting up this Mini MXIII for a friend who uses Mac primarily. I formatted an external HD to exFAT from within Windows (8.1) and loaded some videos. I did this so he could delete and add stuff from within OSX (OSX can only read NFTS, it can't write or delete).

When I plug the HD into the Mini MXIII it's not recognized. I formatted with allocation unit size (cluster size) at 1024 because I read what I quoted below. Anyone else experience this issue? The Mini MXIII recognizes thumb drives I plug in so I assume it's something with exFAT or the cluster size, but I'm not sure, just looking to verify. I don't have a Mac available to do multiple tests, but ideally I need to figure out something that can read/write on Windows and Mac (that can handle files over 2GB), with it also being readable at least in Libreelec.

This is from an Apple discussions thread I found while searching:
Quote:It's a known issue that, depending on how big the drive is, formatting exFAT in OS X uses too large of block (cluster) size that Windows doesn't like. Format the drive from within Windows with a block size no larger than 1024 and you should be able to use the drive on both platforms.
Semi figured this out.  It has nothing to do with exFAT.  I was using a My Passport for Mac, and for some reason the Mini MXIII will not recongnize it under any circumstances.  I've formatted it exFAT and NFTS.  It just does not show up once it's plugged in.  It recognizes everything else I've plugged into it.  I have no idea what's different about a "My Passport for Mac" ... it's supposed to be the same as a normal Passport except originally formatted to HFS.
I am running four 8TB external HDs, all formatted exFat, and shared to all my HTPCs via smbUP on my iMac running the latest os x el capitan. There were a few times when I had connection time outs, but once I moved everything to smbUp and have since been running a combination of Kodi 17 beta 2 (android), OPENELEC and SPMC (Kodi fork for android), I have not had any issues. My drives read fine on both my PC and my MAC for file transfers. I've read that exFat can be a pain, but I have yet to have any issues with it as of late.

Your passport should work fine, especially if the box can read other drives formatted the same.
(2016-09-28, 17:19)JxPx Wrote: [ -> ]I am running four 8TB external HDs, all formatted exFat, and shared to all my HTPCs via smbUP on my iMac running the latest os x el capitan. There were a few times when I had connection time outs, but once I moved everything to smbUp and have since been running a combination of Kodi 17 beta 2 (android), OPENELEC and SPMC (Kodi fork for android), I have not had any issues. My drives read fine on both my PC and my MAC for file transfers. I've read that exFat can be a pain, but I have yet to have any issues with it as of late.

Your passport should work fine, especially if the box can read other drives formatted the same.

Turns out it was a fault USB cable ... somehow. The USB cord that came with the Passport for Mac works fine when plugged into my tower, it loads up fine, I can load files, format, no issues all day. Try to plug it into the Mini MXIII ... nothing. I have several My Passport drives and when I use a USB cable from one of my other Passports with the Passport for Mac the Mini MXIII loads the drive normally.

So it's got to be the USB cable, I just don't understand how since my computer can see the drive fine, only the Mini MXIII has an issue.