Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can my old pc play 1080?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!
I am supernew on kodi!!
I just saw about it today and I would defenately give it a go
I just would like to know if my old pc can can play 720 and 1080 vids
I think I am going to install kodibuntu

My specs are:
Pentium 4 3.06ghz
1gb ram
nvidia geforce6200LE

I just bought a new tv and I would like to turn my old pc to an media player

Thanks for the help Laugh
Yes, it probably will, but it's really old stuff and very low on ram.
It won't be fast, but since you already have this lying around id say give it a go..
Thread moved to Linux
It should do yes. That gfx card has a max res of 2048x1536. I have a minimal install of Ubuntu on an old bit of kit running Kodi 16.1 . It has 1 Gb ram and an 80Gb HDD. Kodi runs fine. Kodibuntu is a bit heavier as it includes a full desktop but it should run fine I would have thought.
I wanted to install kodibubtu because I was thinking that it was the lightest option!
So what is the lightest option for me to do?
I would usually recommend OpenELEC or LibreELEC but with your GPU you'd be limited to the OpenELEC legacy build which is still on Kodi Isengard.

http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/category...y-releases
stelito, your PC will play video fine. As already said, you need the lightest option. OpenElec ( older & abandoned ) and LibreElec ( new & active development ) is linux JEOS (just enough operating system) with KODI pre-installed.
Only absolutely needed code is included with this OS, nothing fancy, only what is needed to play videos. 100-something megabytes for entire package, Linux OS AND Kodi: It is EXACTLY what you need, and will work fine Wink

Jdiesel is right, the age of your PC makes it reasonable to try the older legacy version
BUT
please do me a favor, try the newest stable LibreElec. I have installed in similar PCs and its working super smooth.
Its 10 minutes to burn image in USB stick, boot from USB stick, and install to your PC
https://libreelec.tv/2016/09/libreelec-u...or-v1-1-0/
I think that graphics card is too old for libreelec.
(2016-09-28, 13:53)stelito Wrote: [ -> ]I wanted to install kodibubtu because I was thinking that it was the lightest option!
So what is the lightest option for me to do?

This is what I did on my bedroom PC http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=141369

There is a lot of reading in that thread, theres also an updated script in there somewhere too !

Advantages (at least for me) are that I'm running a custom kernel (no support in mainline for my LED display, so I had to build my own), updating of the system via apt-get if I choose to update anything and the same for Kodi. Also, as long as it doesn't need a GUI I can install or remove whatever I might need - although SSH and nano are pretty much all I do need.

Its maybe not quite as light as LibreElec, but it does give you much more flexibility if you want it.

This is the rather old processor in the PC (it dates from 2003!), there is one 1Gb stick of DDR and an 80Gb IDE HDD with an nVidia GT610. Kodi 16.1 runs as smooth as butter on it.

Most times its the GPU that matters to Kodi, not the CPU (unless you NEED to do software rendering). This machine used to have its original gfx card in it (nVidia Geforce 7 series I think) and it ran fine, but it wasn't 100% smooth moving through menus although actual video playback was fine. When the gfx card failed and I replaced it with something more modern I noticed the change straight away. If you have a spare PCI slot, for the price of that card, I'd definitely consider getting one.
Keep in mind electric bill for this rig and fan noise can be replaced by raspberry Pi or even better odroid c2. Check decoding capability of these two.