Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: kodi folder doesn't get created in the application support folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
please help! new user.

I installed Kodi the latest current version Kodi v16.1 “Jarvis” (mac) from the official site https://kodi.tv/download/
I had a problem closing Kodi (would not close) so i forced close in my MacBook pro (sierra), problem closing every single time
so I decided to do a remove and reinstall of Kodi by:
1-dragging and dropping the kodi app into the trash bin
2-dragged and dropped the kodi 16.1 jarvis dmg file into the trash bin
3-went to finder in Library\application support\ and delete the Kodi folder
4-emptied the trash bin
5-restarted macbook pro (sierra)
6-redownloaded the kodi dmg file
7-double click the file, dragged it into the application folder just as the first install

when i start Kodi it says “Kodi” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.
yes i searched and read the forums and spend all day trying all of the great advice given in other forums, please be patient because i didn't want to frustrate anyone in here with the same question, but i have tried everything.

i clean the MacBook pro from any files and folders but when i reinstall i still get the same message, and i have noticed that the kodi folder doesn't get created in the application support folderHuh

what to do?
You are looking in the wrong Library folder. The proper one is hidden by default. In Finder, pull down the Go menu while holding the Opt button. You should see Library appear as a destination. This is your user library, not the system library. Another alternative is to select Go To Folder and copy/paste this path into the text box-
Code:
~/Library/Application Support/

As far as the damaged file warning, I believe this is just a Gatekeeper issue.
Hi wgstark thank you for your reply.
I have tried your instructions before but I'll try it again.
I've just tried both ways and the folder is not there.

Also I thought it was a security gatekeeper thingy, so after reinstall
I control+click the app and selected open but I still get the message kodi is damaged and can't be opened and so on

Don't know what to do, the fact that the folders are not been created and control+click Doesnt work, what else can I try? Thank you for your help
Have you tried disabling gatekeeper in system prefs>security & privacy>general>allow apps downloaded from anywhere.
My own experience - which is by no means definitive - is that when a Mac tells you that a download is damaged that this isn't a Gatekeeper issue, but that there actually is an issue with the download. Have you tried re-downloading from https://kodi.tv/download/ just in case it wasn't downloaded properly?

Gatekeeper issues will normally say that the app "can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer."
Hi wgstarks
Sierra os doesn't have the option to allow apps from anywhere
Only has two options
1 AppStore
2 App Store and identified developers
Thank you

Hi BobCratchett
Every time I installed Kodi I re-downloaded the file again, after cleaning the MacBook
But after I install Kodi I check the hidden library folder and under application support the Kodi folder is not there
Maybe those folders get created after the first time Kodi gets used.
But I still tried to open Kodi by using control+click Kodi then select open (which is the way sierra allows apps from anywhere to open) and I still get the same message "Kodi" is damaged and can't be opened

I don't get any errors when installing Kodi, I think it might be a gatekeeper thing
Anyone out there running Kodi on a MacBook Pro with sierra? How do you start Kodi?

By the way the first time I started Kodi it was fine the problem was shutting down
By the way thank you both for your response
Still sounds to me more like a download issue than a gatekeeper one. I'd suggest disabling any download managers you might have installed or even trying to download via a different browser. The ~/Library/Application Support/Kodi folder should be created the first time Kodi is successfully started.
Ok problem solved, as suspected it was a gatekeeper issue.
Problem was solved by:

How to Allow Apps from Anywhere in Gatekeeper for macOS Sierra

Quit out of System Preferences
Open the Terminal app from the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and then enter the following command syntax:
sudo spctl --master-disable

Hit return and authenticate with an admin password

Returning to Default Gatekeeper Security in macOS Sierra

You can also reverse this and go back to the default strict Gatekeeper settings of only allowing apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers by issuing the following command string:

sudo spctl --master-enable

Hitting return and re-authenticating will return macOS Gatekeeper back to its strict default state of disallowing random apps from launching.
Thank you all for your help!!
You should only need to do right-click (or command+click) on Kodi for the first time, rather than manually disabling gatekeeper.