Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Refresh Rate switching not working in latest nightly builds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As subject says. It does not actually change the refresh rate of the display, though the renderer does think it has changed, causing stuttering video of course.

Machine is a 2011 Mac mini with Intel graphics.

Debug log
Is this supposed to work at this point on osx? I'll fiddle around with settings more, but if it's known to be a an issue, I'll delve into the code more.
supposed to work imo - your log shows proper onlostdevice and ondevice reset callbacks (look for "CWinSystemOSX" in the log). This indicates that we did something with the display - strange that it didn't change the mode then... - did this ever work for your setup? Does it work if you bypass the denon amp?
Haven't tried bypassing the amp, but it works in this configuration with Jarvis.
Hmm it might be actually switching -- my TV annoyingly doesn't display the refresh rate anywhere.

But either it's not, or the renderer thinks it's 60 when it's actually 24. The audio cuts out every other second or so and the video is stuttering.

The debug overlay reports that the FPS is 24. The old codec info overlay reports Refresh is 60.
If I disable Sync Playback to Display, it is smooth again. So I think the player is incorrectly trying to sync to 60Hz when the display is actually at 24Hz.
Should I not see output from the following some time after the refresh rate change?

Code:
CLog::Log(LOGDEBUG, "CVideoSyncOsx::%s Detected refreshrate: %f hertz", __FUNCTION__, m_fps);
If I switch to 24Hz res via the OS before starting Kodi, it correctly reports the refresh rate as 24 in the overlay. So I know the resolution is available and works.

But, A/V sync still isn't right and it's still stuttering.

Here is the debug log and you can see it dropping frames.

Are there any other OSX users trying to use 24Hz that can confirm?
I sink the printout might only show up if sync video to display is turned on. Do you have any fps overrides in advancedsettings.xml enabled? (Can't look right now)
Yes, it only prints the refresh rate if sync is enabled. What I'm saying is, if I manually switch to 24Hz before starting Kodi, it correctly displays 24 there. If I don't switch before I start Kodi, it displays 60, even though it claims to have adjusted the refresh rate to 24.

For all cases, I get jumps in audio and stuttering video (dropped/skipped frames) unless I disable either Adjust Refresh Rate or Sync Playback to Display.

I do have overrides, but I tried removing them too. They are:

Code:
<video>
    <adjustrefreshrate>
      <override>
        <fpsmin>23.95</fpsmin>
        <fpsmax>24.05</fpsmax>
        <refreshmin>23.9</refreshmin>
        <refreshmax>24.1</refreshmax>
      </override>
      <override>
        <fpsmin>29.95</fpsmin>
        <fpsmax>30.05</fpsmax>
        <refresh>60.0</refresh>
      </override>
      <fallback>
        <refresh>60.0</refresh>
      </fallback>
    </adjustrefreshrate>
    <latency>
      <refresh>
        <min>23</min>
        <max>25</max>
        <delay>150</delay>
      </refresh>
      <refresh>
        <min>49.0</min>
        <max>61.0</max>
        <delay>50</delay>
      </refresh>
    </latency>
  </video>
Jinga, my TV screen only allows 50 / 60HZ in the settings, how do you switch OSX/MACOS manually to 24 HZ ?
Your TV has to support it. I'm not positive, but I think all 120/240Hz TVs do?
I tried it with beta 3 and refresh rate is switched normally here with macmini into yamaha avr into lg tv ...
Hmm. It's definitely not working here. Not sure why.
One thought. Maybe it's relying on the detected refresh rate now and it just trusted that it changed in Jarvis? Perhaps it's not detecting the display refresh rate correctly in my setup? It does report the refresh rate as 60 after all, even though it's definitely 24.

It definitely did work in Jarvis, and it works in Krypton provided I don't sync the video to the display. But the audio drifts off enough to annoy me without resampling.
Pages: 1 2