Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: R-Box PRO box?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hallo.

I am looking for an Android Box for Kodi.
I have been looking at R-BOX PRO and it seem's to be very sweet.
I will run my content from my NAS, all wired with LAN.
Will the R-BOX PRO be able to run KODI and the movies without lagging or just run slow..
I want a fast and non lagging interface.

Thanks for the help.
Flashy new AMLogic S912 boxes are not recommended. This is not a Tech Specs Arms race. Speed is not everything.

Why?
Do you actually want something that works properly, because S912 boxes are as buggy as hell like the BUGLink S912 GT1:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2424791

There are numerous users already with all manner of S912 box issues.
Okay thanks for the quick answear.. i guess i will be looking for someting else that works perfect out of the box.
In the Kodi media player world there really is no "Perfect".

If it is just a cheap, fast Kodi player you need then get a AMLogic S905 box (not X, not S912), and with a bit of DIY run LibreELEC Kodi on it and forget about Android all together. (See the Budget AMLogic thread)

I would only get an Android device from a company that will provide after sales support, if you want it to run nicely out of the box.
All those companies are in the START HERE sticky thread at the top of the forums.
So if i get the AMlogic s905 with LebreELEC that would be a kodi os?. I can still do all my addons and so using LebreELEC?.
Looks very cheap and i might be afraid that really is enought to play HD movies from my NAS?.
Maybe the Nvidia Shield is the way moer expensive but safe solution?.
would you say it's worth it for $74 at Geekbuying?
You can also get a S905X (like this one) w/2GB RAM + 8GB storage for $39 shipped. Install LibreELEC Jarvis build, and you get perfect framerates and full HD audio passthrough. Box is fairly snappy as well. I also have a 2GB/16GB S905 (from before prices for S905 got high) and don't notice a difference... except for really high bitrate 4K clips (as S905X boxes have 100M LAN, not gigabit).

@Fighter88, yes, add-ons work fine... but 99% of my use is streaming from my Synology NAS.
Hello all. First post here, but do not buy an R-BOX Pro if you expect to use KODI for HDR10 and/or Dolby Vision. However, it may be a value if you don't have a older generation 4K TV that doesn't suport these latest standards.

Forget about Kodi 17rc/16.1 supporting HDR10 and Dolby Vision to a TV because of the Amlogic S912. In fact, avoid this chipset if you are serious about 4K streaming through KODI, as there is NO LibreELEC Kodi support (4K SUHD HDR10/ Dolby Vision Kodi dream build), which is required for the proper pass through.

I made a big mistake buying this, and also had a bad customer service experience at geekBuying.com, but that's another story. If you bought an R-BOX Pro, to get the most of it, uninstall the buggy Kodi beta, and download SPMC 16.5x, as at least it sees you have a 4K TV, unlike Kodi 17 RC3.. Again, avoid Amlogic S912 boxes if you have a newer SUHD 4K TV that supports HDR10 and/or Dolby Vision. I spent good money to get an OLED set that had both, only to be limited by the R-BOX Pro.

Oh, and did I mention the lack of manufacturer support? No official forum, horrible record of people searching for firmware all over the internet with little success. And the wireless update on the device hasn't found any firmware update since November 18, 2016. They certainly have a lot to do if they are going to release firmware that allows KODI content to pass not just as 4K, but HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

Regards,
Janx
(2017-01-21, 23:46)edjanx Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all. First post here, but do not buy an R-BOX Pro if you expect to use KODI for HDR10 and/or Dolby Vision. However, it may be a value if you don't have a older generation 4K TV that doesn't suport these latest standards.

Forget about Kodi 17rc/16.1 supporting HDR10 and Dolby Vision to a TV because of the Amlogic S912. In fact, avoid this chipset if you are serious about 4K streaming through KODI, as there is NO LibreELEC Kodi support (4K SUHD HDR10/ Dolby Vision Kodi dream build), which is required for the proper pass through.

I made a big mistake buying this, and also had a bad customer service experience at geekBuying.com, but that's another story. If you bought an R-BOX Pro, to get the most of it, uninstall the buggy Kodi beta, and download SPMC 16.5x, as at least it sees you have a 4K TV, unlike Kodi 17 RC3.. Again, avoid Amlogic S912 boxes if you have a newer SUHD 4K TV that supports HDR10 and/or Dolby Vision. I spent good money to get an OLED set that had both, only to be limited by the R-BOX Pro.

Oh, and did I mention the lack of manufacturer support? No official forum, horrible record of people searching for firmware all over the internet with little success. And the wireless update on the device hasn't found any firmware update since November 18, 2016. They certainly have a lot to do if they are going to release firmware that allows KODI content to pass not just as 4K, but HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

Regards,
Janx

I just bought the same android box and I didn't get to watch a single second of content before it broke. The box reset and is stuck on the R-TV Box screen and there's nothing I can do to fix it. Factory reset doesn't even work and honestly at this point it doesn't matter because I don't want it fixed. I'm returning it. As I was setting up the R-TV Box, I became skeptical of it's ability of 4k and Dolby Vision because this Android Box doesn't even allow live wallpaper for your desktop. My TX5 Pro allows live wallpaper on the desktop no problem. So on that note, will someone please send me a link or links where I can buy an android box that has dolby vision? It's nearly impossible to filter a search on geekbuying. Thank you.
(2017-11-26, 18:16)AndroidBoxDoc Wrote: [ -> ]... will someone please send me a link or links where I can buy an android box that has dolby vision? It's nearly impossible to filter a search on geekbuying. Thank you.
There may be Android Boxes about, like the AMLogic S912's who's hardware is capable of DV, but you also need Firmware and Software support to play DV clips with the correct Metadata output. That is the key ingredient.

Don't get suckered in by fancy tech specs, you need Firmware and Software support too.

The only media player I know that can play DV properly is the Apple TV 4K, and you have to use iTunes for paid movie viewing.