Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Setup - can I do this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a seagate drive plugged into my router and my samsung smart tv plugged into the same to watch my local media today. Can I install KODI on the external drive and run straight from my TV?
no, you will need an external device unless the smart tv has its own capable video player.
Simple. No.
Kodi is an application which needs to run on an operating system of som type.
The operating system needs to be loaded on some hardware that can run it.

Hardware that can run an OS which Kodi can be installed on is varied but tends to be Intel based (windows or linux or OSx) or Arm based (android).

But the Kodi application needs to be connected to the viewing device and be controllable by the user.
This usually means that the device Kodi runs on needs a HDMI output and generally IR control (though other methods like HDMI CEC or wireless apps can be used to control Kodi).

Routers will have hardwired and wireless ethernet and maybe a USB port or two, nothing more...
They usually run some sort of linux based OS (but generally customised and locked down in some way so you can't install applications on it).
They do not have HDMI, DVI or VGA video output.
They do not have and IR or blutooth capabilities for connecting remote controls.
They generally are not placed next to your TV.
That's why Kodi will not work on a router and why the answer you get is "NO".

Put another way, what you ask is "can i install Microsoft Offic to my HDD What this means for you is that unless your router OS can support a Kodi install and it can be connected to your TV, it wont work

Generally TV's are in the same category as routers but for different reasons related to type of OS used to runthe TV.
But some TV's run Android and can have a Kodi app installed from an app store though results are varied.
It's much better to simply by a cheap box like a RPi and use that as your Kodi box.
It's small enough to velcro on the back of your TV out of sight out of mind should you desire.
Then you can access your movie source material from anywhere (though i connect my HDD to my RPi USB ports).