Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] MPlayer porting to XBMC for Linux/Mac/Windows?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
My take on this:
1. ffmpeg which is used by dvdplayer is part of mplayer, so in fact one can say that we use portions of mplayer.
2. As spiff noted mplayer is not embeddable. spawning another process and integrating with it might be possible but will require major effort. If someone wants to step and do it -- welcome.
3. Some parts of mplayer, mainly around streaming content, is better than XBMC but we are continuously improving our code and I think most of the functionality is there already.

If there's anything CONCRETE that's missing in dvdplayer/paplayer, I'd love to hear about it.

-Yuval
Features aren't an issue; xbmc plays pretty much everything mplayer does. Performance is, though. Mplayer and totem(xine) take up ~12% CPU speed playing a simple 480i xvid, while XBMC consumes 25-50%. Playing a 720p xvid, mplayer uses 15-20% of one CPU at 1.6Ghz. XBMC takes up 40% of one CPU and 60% of the other (still at 1.6Ghz).

I need to get some 1080p for further performance testing, since I can't even generate enough load to get my cpufreq up to the max of 3Ghz, but it's pretty clear that performance is far lower in XBMC. Now I'm not using those CPUs for anything in particular; this is a dedicated XBMC machine. But it does limit the potential users of the software.
let me guess
no gl 2.0 -> software csc -> cpu pays.
xine/mplayer runs using xv output - hardware csc -> cpu happier
both mplayer and xine are basically just wrappers for ffmpeg decoding wise.

you shouldn't go around judging things you (obviously) do not understand
You are grumpy!

I have a nv 7150 running the binary drivers, it supports opengl 2.1.2. I get rougly 2100fps in glxgears.
well, then something is wrong with your drivers. / configuration, cause what you say really makes no sense. perhaps there can be slight differences, but they should be SLIGHT (as a reference; dvdplayer is slightly more efficient than mplayer on xbox due to a slightly less stupid architecture) oh, and glxgears performance is of no concern - the screen in fullscreen consist of a whopping two trigons / one quad. shaders are what matters

from what little i can find from google it does seem like the hw should support what's needed (PS3.0)

and as for me being grumpy, thats just the eye of the beholder. as far as i'm concerned i'm just being blunt.
Possibly; I'm forced to use the beta 169.x drivers since the released ones don't support the 7150 yet. So you're saying that on most machines XBMC and mplayer/xine have roughly the same performance impact? That's good to know. Hopefully the next driver beta will fix whatever's broken.
Just to throw in a little bit here but vsync on nvidia drivers takes up a lot of cpu does mplayer use hardware vsync ?
A good way to compare performance is to make mplayer use OpenGL for rendering instead of XV. Run it with '-vo gl'. Also, the 7150 isn't all that powerful even though it's NVidia. Its fillrate is roughly 1/5th of the 7600.
I wanted to share that I did a comparison with elephants dream in 1080p on my 1.8ghz C2D with mplayer -vo gl and xbmc.

Just wanted to say that xbmc kicked mplayer seriosly. Was noticable faster and smoother. xbmc reported about 70% cpu ussage. Altough this isn't what linux says, it says about 40% on both cores, sweet Smile

mplayer gets about the same result CPU-stress wise but not shared, 70-80% on one core and the other is onsome 20%
The difference with mplayer is that is noticably laggy.

XBMC for the win Smile
Hi,

any hint how to check (or set?) the video player/mplayer postprocessing settings? On a very fast linux box, for example, a "pp=ac" or "pp=ha/va/dr" enables maximum deblocking and deringing filters.

How to check/modify what xbmc is using? Is this possible?

Thanks.

PS: I compiled by myself on SUSE 10.3. So, even hacking source is okay.
our linux port doesn't even use Mplayer, so that would indeed be a glorious hack!
Ups, I'm confused....What is this?

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/?title=MPlayer
on Xbox, we have mplayer, but not on LINUX
thats from the xbox version the linux version only uses our inbuilt dvdplayer really we need to remove the playusing options from context menu because it always uses dvdplayer
Ah, I see. Was not clear from the docs. Thanks for clarification.

But anyways, if you are not using mplayer, what sort for video enhancement/postprocessing (deblocking/deringing?) is used or can be used?

Perhaps point me to some source file and I can have a look by myself.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7