Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi only works when Windows Firewall is disabled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in need of some suggestions please. I've been running xbmc / kodi for the last 18 months or so and everything was working fine until I switched from Zone Alarm firewall to the built in Windows firewall (Win 10 64 bit). Now SBMC on the Pi will not connect to the desktop (SMB) unless I disable the firewall. I don't really want to run my system without a firewall, so I have tried to set up inbound and outbound connection rules within the windows firewall to allow traffic on ports 80 and 977 for both TCP and UDP but that has not been successful.

Can anyone here suggest how I should configure the Windows firewall to allow xbmc to communicate with my desktop ?

Many thanks
Have you allowed these ports inbound on Windows Firewall?

TCP 139, 445
UDP 137, 138
Appreciate the suggestion which I tried, but unfortunately without success.

The only way I have been able to get xbmc on the Pi to talk to my firewalled desktop (via the router) is if I set up the following inbound rule: Allow any program to use TCP on all ports between any local IP address and the remote address of the Pi.

I'm really not familiar with setting up the firewall, so my main concern is that I have inadvertently set up an insecure rule. Do you think it's OK?

Thanks again
Well, at least you limited the inbound traffic to the pi only, so the purpose of your firewall isn't completely forfeitted, but allowing only the needed ports should do it, though.
I use this myself in my home network without issue.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am having the same issue.  I haven't used Kodi for a few years now, but just installed it on a Raspberry Pi 5 and I can only get it to see my network shares with my firewall disabled.  My firewall is Norton Firewall (part of Norton 360).  It's been that long since I used it, I can't remember what settings / ports etc I need to change / add and I'm not very experienced with firewall settings!