Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Userdata folder location in Windows 10 App
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just installed Kodi 17 beta on my Windows 10 machine through the Microsoft App Store and am having trouble with keymapping. I can't find the userdata folder (or even a Kodi folder, for that matter) to copy my keymap.xml file over to.

I read that the Kodi app uses the same userdata folder as the regular install but I cannot seem to find a trace of the kodi installation on my PC, but it is running because I am using it. I am going insane haha. Someone please shine a light on the glaring mistake I've overlooked.

Thanks

Edit: I ran a search and found files in the directory:

AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p

Is this the userdata folder?
-AC
-AppData
-LocalCache
-LocalState
-RoamingState
-Settings
-SystemAppData
-Tempstate

where exactly should I drop the keyboard.xml file?

Edit #2:
I did some further digging and it turns out the userdata folder is located in:

~\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

Also, they keymap file is no longer called keymap.xml or keyboard.xml
The new name is gen.xml and it is stored in the keymap folder within the userdata directory.

I used the keymap editor addon to help me find the proper naming and location of the file.

I just figured I would update this for anyone having trouble with Windows 10 and keymapping.
Yes I think the MS boys had something to say about the traditional location. Hopefully the wiki will be updated to reflect this soon.
Gen.xml is the file created by the keymap editor add-on.

Any file name (as long as it ends in .xml) will work in there - they are read in sequentially.
If someone wants to confirm that the userdata folder really is different/moved for Store installs, I will update the a wiki with that information.
(2016-10-11, 00:46)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]If someone wants to confirm that the userdata folder really is different/moved for Store installs, I will update the a wiki with that information.
They are really different. An app works as before i.e. works with %APPDATA%\Kodi, but physically folder is placed into %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p. this is UWP approach to isolate UWP apps
Do pre-existing folders from old installations get moved to the new location?
I was wrong the real AppData folder is %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi

It looks like a some kind of a shadow copy. when an app first starts the UWP makes a some kind of symlinks to folders and files in the original folder %APPDATA%\Kodi. The symlinks are exist here till app has change a file in the folder. After the app changes the file "symlink" is gone.
instead of a thousand words
watch gallery
Can we get some clarification on the userdtata locations please? Seems there are three different scenarios:

1, Kodi installer: userdata is located in %APPDATA%\Kodi

2. Store Kodi (fresh install): userdata is located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kod​i

3. Store kodi (with prior userdata from kodi installer): userdata is kept in %APPDATA%\Kodi which is symlinked to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kod​i but, symlinks are not created in reverse, ie if a addon is installed in store kodi it will not show up in regular kodi. Not sure what happens if a symlinked addon is updated in the store version - will it disappear from the regular kodi install?
so this location is for the user profile.
where do I find the system files in order to change the "shutdownmenu" (to change it to exit and not ask stupid questions) and RSS "scrollspeed" ?

under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kod​​I\userdata\addon_data\skin.estuary
there's only a settings.xml file and no other files (I did update to the store version btw).

Do I need to recreate or copy the original files I have in the other directory in order to change the settings I want?
(2017-02-20, 20:32)Shachar2like Wrote: [ -> ]so this location is for the user profile.
where do I find the system files in order to change the "shutdownmenu" (to change it to exit and not ask stupid questions) and RSS "scrollspeed" ?

under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kod​​I\userdata\addon_data\skin.estuary
there's only a settings.xml file and no other files (I did update to the store version btw).

Do I need to recreate or copy the original files I have in the other directory in order to change the settings I want?

Just copy whatever skin file you want you want in given path : %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kod​​I\userdata\addon_data\skin.estuary
(2016-10-09, 23:28)fonzie Wrote: [ -> ]I have just installed Kodi 17 beta on my Windows 10 machine through the Microsoft App Store and am having trouble with keymapping. I can't find the userdata folder (or even a Kodi folder, for that matter) to copy my keymap.xml file over to.

I read that the Kodi app uses the same userdata folder as the regular install but I cannot seem to find a trace of the kodi installation on my PC, but it is running because I am using it. I am going insane haha. Someone please shine a light on the glaring mistake I've overlooked.

Thanks

-AC
-AppData
-LocalCache
-LocalState
-RoamingState
-Settings
-SystemAppData
-Tempstate

Edit #2:

~\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

The new name is gen.xml and it is stored in the keymap folder within the userdata directory.

I used the keymap editor addon to help me find the proper naming and location of the file.

I just figured I would update this for anyone having trouble with Windows 10 and keymapping.

I'm so grateful to you! I had the same situation. There was only one way to the folder described on the other websites... But thanks to your post (your answer to yourself Smile ), I was saved! Smile)
(2020-10-12, 18:55)Alexandra from UZ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-09, 23:28)fonzie Wrote: [ -> ]I have just installed Kodi 17 beta on my Windows 10 machine through the Microsoft App Store and am having trouble with keymapping. I can't find the userdata folder (or even a Kodi folder, for that matter) to copy my keymap.xml file over to.

Thanks

-AC
-AppData
-LocalCache
-LocalState
-RoamingState
-Settings
-SystemAppData
-Tempstate

Edit #2:

I'm so grateful to you! I had the same situation. There was only one way to the folder described on the other websites... But thanks to your post (your answer to yourself Smile ), I was saved! Smile)

Awesome!  I'm glad it helped you.
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data is where I found the download locations
(2020-12-09, 01:27)fonzie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-12, 18:55)Alexandra from UZ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-09, 23:28)fonzie Wrote: [ -> ]