Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Radio main menu item
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just installed Kodi 17 Beta 3. I see a RADIO item on the menu by default. Cool. But now I have a question. Why does the RADIO main menu item tell me I need a PVR client? Is this a problem with the beta?

Thanks,

-buzz
Because "radio" is provided by a PVR client. This is not the same thing as a music streaming source add-on such as shoutcast. I don't know if IPTV PVR client can be used to access radio. I use a tuner card to pick up local OTA radio stations via the WMC PVR client.

scott s.
I think it can, although it's possibly simpler just to set up a strm (wiki) file, or use an add-on like the Add-on:radio (wiki) add-on (or one of the other streaming sources from the music add-on section) and just pin that to the menu via a favourite.

That's what I do (the "my stations" folder in Radio is pinned to my Amber home menu as a favourite), and it works fine.
Thanks for the answers. Kinda makes sense. Kinda doesn't. If it confused me, I'm sure it is REALLY confusing for new users. The radio menu asks me to install a video client. err...what??

-buzz
Not sure if it's a country thing, but here in UK and many other countries I've visited it's perfectly normal to use your TV service to listen to radio, for example the radio channels provided with a TV satellite service might be the only way to access radio if you're in a remote location.
Same in NL.
In the US for broadcast, the radio FM band sits inside the TV VHF band, so a tuner can easily receive both, though of course the modulation and bandwidth are different.

scott s.