Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu 7.10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I just compiled an xbmc with ubuntu 7.10 and it works quite well. But I need to start xbmc as root user is there any way to get around this.

My hardware on this:
Fujitsu-Siemens Laptop V3205 Intel Core Duo T5100 1,8 GHz
2 GB RAM
Intel Gfx with mesa drivers
Are you saying you WANT to start xbmc as root or it only let you start in root?

If the latter, did you run the svn checkout or the build.sh as sudo?
AFAIK if you want to log in as root, you should log in as the user you created, open a terminal, and type sudo passwd root. Change the password to whatever you like and now you can log in with the root user.

To auto-login as root go to System - Administration - Sessions and on one of the tabs you can select a user to auto-login as.

Both of the above are *very* bad ideas security-wise. Post here what you're trying to accomplish and maybe we can suggest a more secure alternative?
Hmm I compiled xmbc with sudo but when i start xbmc with
./xboxmediacenter then I wont get any picture. If I start it with sudo ./xboxmediacenter then it starts and work allright.

And I dont want to start it with root becourse of security reason...
Delete your XBMC source folder and checkout again. (or change permissions)
Compile with build.sh but dont use sudo
then run ./XboxMediaCenter without sudo

I think that should work......
try chowning it (change owner)

sudo chown <your username>:<your group> -R <xbox media center directory>

like: sudo chown nianhbg:nianhbg -R /path/to/XboxMediaCenter
aegzorz Wrote:try chowning it (change owner)

sudo chown <your username>:<your group> -R <xbox media center directory>

like: sudo chown nianhbg:nianhbg -R /path/to/XboxMediaCenter

OK thanks for the tips I will try this
nianhbg Wrote:Hi I just compiled an xbmc with ubuntu 7.10 and it works quite well. But I need to start xbmc as root user is there any way to get around this.

My hardware on this:
Fujitsu-Siemens Laptop V3205 Intel Core Duo T5100 1,8 GHz
2 GB RAM
Intel Gfx with mesa drivers

Try this:

$ sudo chown u+s xboxmediacenter

this will run xboxmediacenter as root even if you start is as a normal user. Beware that this is bad for security, you should keep these things down to a minimum.

One good solution should be to make a good SE-linux policy for xboxmediacenter and then educate the rest of us how you did it :-)