Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Music Library Removal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone.

I'm having some issues with my music library within Kodi 17 beta 2.

I store all my music files on a WD has drive on my network and link the drive into kodi, i've removed the drive from kodi as i'll be switching drives however all the music is still showing and playable in Kodi, i've tried the clean music library option but this does not remove anything.

i'm totally stumped on how to get rid of the music.

Any ideas?
(2016-10-22, 14:22)lastlaststar Wrote: [ -> ]i've removed the drive from kodi
What does that mean?
Did you set content to 'none', or just delete it from music sources?
Presumably it (the drive) is still plugged in, as your music is playing...?
(2016-10-22, 14:30)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-22, 14:22)lastlaststar Wrote: [ -> ]i've removed the drive from kodi
What does that mean?
Did you set content to 'none', or just delete it from music sources?
Presumably it (the drive) is still plugged in, as your music is playing...?

I removed it from the source file list.

Yes the drive is still on but does not show up in kodi.
Then you need to:
1. Put it back (exactly the same source).
2. In the context menu select 'set content' for that source.
The content should show as music. If it doesn't the source is different, so go back and edit it.
3. Set content to 'none.'
I presume (I don't use the music library) you'll get a prompt to clean the database at that point. That should remove your music library, and you can then safely delete the source again.
(2016-10-22, 14:54)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]Then you need to:
The content should show as music. If it doesn't the source is different, so go back and edit it.
I presume (I don't use the music library) you'll get a prompt to clean the database at that point. That should remove your music library, and you can then safely delete the source again.

Thanks for your help.

Found another way of doing it, went into profile folder and deleted the music data base and its done it.

Thanks again.
I think Kodi is being too clever - it is designed to cope with music on removable drives, so just because the drive is missing it does not remove the item from the library immediately. Then again I would expect dropping the source and cleaning the library to have removed things.

So not sure what is happening here.
(2016-10-22, 14:59)lastlaststar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-22, 14:54)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]Then you need to:

Thanks for your help.

Found another way of doing it, went into profile folder and deleted the music data base and its done it.

Thanks again.
Bollocks.
<Bangs head on desk>
Yeah, that's what I would have probably done - I was too focused on doing it through the GUI.
Deleting stuff directly is often the easiest way.
(2016-10-22, 15:09)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]I think Kodi is being too clever - it is designed to cope with music on removable drives, so just because the drive is missing it does not remove the item from the library immediately. Then again I would expect dropping the source and cleaning the library to have removed things.

Dropping the source (if by which you mean removing it from sources.xml) is independent of the databases (at least for videos, I'm pretty ignorant as far as music goes).
So you can have (for eg) a kodi instance using a mysql database with nothing in sources.xml - update library still works fine, 'cos the sources are stored in the database.
(2016-10-22, 15:19)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-22, 15:09)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]I think Kodi is being too clever - it is designed to cope with music on removable drives, so just because the drive is missing it does not remove the item from the library immediately. Then again I would expect dropping the source and cleaning the library to have removed things.

Dropping the source (if by which you mean removing it from sources.xml) is independent of the databases (at least for videos, I'm pretty ignorant as far as music goes).
So you can have (for eg) a kodi instance using a mysql database with nothing in sources.xml - update library still works fine, 'cos the sources are stored in the database.
You are right, the sources.xml and the database can get out of date if you copy files about, I hit that all the time with testing. But in normal use removing a music source via GUI (remove on context menu) should also remove the related library entries too. If I remember correctly it even prompts you to do so.

Maybe video is different, the library is created by scraping online info. The music libraray is created from the tag data in music files before any online scraping happens.

But OP has found a solution, so all is well I guess.
You're probably right about that for videos too Dave - tbh I can't remember the last time I removed (a library source) in the gui, my sources.xml is mostly a notepad++ construction.
Video asks if you remove a source to also remove from library
(2016-10-22, 15:36)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]You're probably right about that for videos too Dave - tbh I can't remember the last time I removed (a library source) in the gui, my sources.xml is mostly a notepad++ construction.

In the GUI you are always prompted if you also want to remove the items from the Library.

Please note that if you are adjusting things directly on any xml with Notepad++ that this is technically unsupported, the exception being the advancedsettings.xml, so if you get in a mess you may have to sort any issues out yourself, although we're not usually that heartless and will attempt to help.
(2016-10-24, 13:53)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Please note that if you are adjusting things directly on any xml with Notepad++ that this is technically unsupported, the exception being the advancedsettings.xml, so if you get in a mess you may have to sort any issues out yourself, although we're not usually that heartless and will attempt to help.
I doubt you'd support my advancedsettings.xml - as you've probably never seen anything like it!
Okay can someone clarify, because yes i move video's around or edit the XML in notepad++ and i can never use the MyMovies scrapper no matter how many times i tag them in My Movies the title is always empty and i need to right click select movie info and even though most of my DVD are backed up 1:1 meaning i have a AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS (i know the audio_ts is not reg any more) well i have made Video_TS.nfo for most DVD, but since i do not do everything the "kodi" way and it back fired i always use the files view instead of going through Movies

Okay short story, if i deleted the video database file will that clean out my Titles for good giving me a chance to do it right
or did that just work with music
(2016-10-24, 15:40)kimkl Wrote: [ -> ]Okay short story, if i deleted the video database file will that clean out my Titles for good giving me a chance to do it right
or did that just work with music
Yes, it would.
I'd normally delete (re-naming everything is better because you can revert, delete them if everything's okay) all myvideosxx.db files, any texturesxx.db files and the Thumbnails folder if I was doing something that drastic. Obviously do all that when kodi's not running.
You could always back up your whole data folder before messing like that just in case - never a bad idea anyway.
Unsupported (who'd've thunk it) but it works (for me).
Pages: 1 2