Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Confused (Kodi's official standpoint on this)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay this is bad and confusing but this is the US law on backing up

The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM . . . Some courts have tried to leaven this rather harsh rule, but most have not. While it's typically hard to detect small-scale circumvention, the question is whether bypassing DRM is legal. The statute sets up some minor exceptions, but our ripper doesn't fall into any of them. So, the moment a studio protects the DVD with DRM, it gains both a technical and a legal advantage—ripping is almost certainly unlawful.

So here is the confusing part My Movies has a scraper in the official kodi repo
But in order to use the scraper you use My Movies software which on both there homepage and in the settings has a link to the software that they want you to use.
But that software breaks the US law regarding "ripping"
So Houston we have a problem,
1 My Movies scraper is in the official repo
2 My Movies software links to Program that will violate US law
3. i have seen recent post, having received reply's from "Staff" with problems regarding playback of "Ripped" Movies.

4. I need to look this up but i believe Danish and German law allow you to Backup your own movies.
So i will not be posting my debug.log atm
Thank you
Looked up Danish law

Your allowed to make a Digital Copy of your Digital Media

I can't translate it better so any Danish people in here with better Spelling skills could prob do it better
So i kept it simple

But you are not allowed to break any protection
You may only watch it by yourself

And after further reading i found out i can't get any clear rules on this, no court in Denmark would say i was violating Danish law
But US law would have me doing 30 years in no time.
So ill abide by US law and stop mention any kind off backed up "legal" Movies to my HD

So Note to all stop posting Threads about your legal "backed up media"
Its in violating of US law and Kodi rules
And that it seems we still have addons in the official repo breaking that, so i guess they will be removed soon.
Thank you
What does scraping have to do with anything? All that is doing is associating your media file (which may be a DVD rip or whatever) with metadata freely available and downloaded from the internet from the database associated with the scraper (thetvdb.com, themoviedb.com, imdb.com or whatever).

Scraping as nothing at all to do with DRM or breaking it. Kodi just plays the media you provide to it (locally stored, streamed or whatever), and will use its scrapers to provide the additional background information and pictures (the aforementioned metadata) to make the display look prettier and to give you more background info on the film or show.
(2016-10-27, 17:32)kimkl Wrote: [ -> ]But US law would have me doing 30 years in no time.
You're not in the US, are you?
I was referring to your piracy policy
Kodi's Official Forum Piracy Policy

1. All discussions dealing directly with or linking to add-ons, websites, or services that violate US copyright laws ("pirated content") will be closed when a forum moderator has been made aware of them. The original poster or add-on creator may provide a link to a website not hosted by Kodi for further discussion and inquiries.

As i read that it means i cannot write the name i use for backing up my "legal" Movies because it violates US law
And you where also right after reading your piracy rules closely they are written in a way that does not mean i break your piracy rules.
phew thx Darren
I manage to make a Mountain out of a Stone yet again.
But you must agree its confusing sometimes with different country's law on this and that.
But the post also said that US law is used in your piracy rules.

So after scaring myself half to death, because i must have mention where i keep my Movies in most post.
Was just confused about having a scraper which does not break rules, but the program My Movies which is Danish and therefore does not break our rules (Grey Area) does violate US DRM law.
My head hurts thx for clearing this up
Darren
(2016-10-27, 18:23)bilgepump Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-27, 17:32)kimkl Wrote: [ -> ]But US law would have me doing 30 years in no time.
You're not in the US, are you?
Remember the Wikileaks (I like myself to much Guy)
What will happen should he enter the US

ofc he was convicted in absent, strange laws nm of topic
And i meant it as an example ofc
I think you must have missed this part of the "My Music" web site:

Quote:* Due to legality in several countries, My Movies do not backup copy protected DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-ray titles.

So even if using a scraper to get metadata from My Movies might induce someone to purchase or install My Movies software (don't see why, as Kodi has same functionality AFAICT) there seems to be no cause for concern for Kodi nor user.

scott s.
Yea seems that way, sorry for the alarming post, after reading the rules closely, i was wrong again sorry.
btw thank you to who ever change my title, that made a rotten day a whole lot better thx Big Grin