Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Blacks not displaying correctly with new Chromebox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I hope this is in the correct place. I'm a long time XBMC/Kodi user and have recently just replaced my Intel I3 system running openELEC with a Chromebox running LibreELEC Kodi 16.1.

With the openELEC system everything was fine but I wanted a smaller footprint so I went with a Chromebox. This will teach me to try and fix what isn't broken.

For some reason with the Chromebox blacks are NOT black. It's much more of a grey color, especially with the "letterbox" bars on 2:35:1 content. It looks absolutely horrible. I've messed with every video setting I can find switching from software to hardware and back again, full to partial color and nothing seems to work. FWIW when I pull up the OSD of my TV or my AVR the blacks are perfectly black, embarrassingly more so than the output I'm getting with Kodi. When I switch to Plex the blacks are perfect again, this is only with Kodi and only with the Chromebox, not with my openELEC box.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
As nobody knows what version of kodi you are running nobody can help you. Read: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955
(2016-10-27, 18:39)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]As nobody knows what version of kodi you are running nobody can help you. Read: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

Sorry I assumed since it auto updates to the newest version it was understood I was using 16.1. My fault and I apologize and I will review that thread.
16.1 cannot do proper colors, this is known. Most likely the old OpenELEC you ran was a special patched version that backported some EGL stuff.

If you want perfect colors again, have a look at the Milhouse OpenELEC 8.0 builds. The only thing you might need to change their is changing the Gui Setting: "Use limited range" on or off.
(2016-10-27, 19:10)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]16.1 cannot do proper colors, this is known. Most likely the old OpenELEC you ran was a special patched version that backported some EGL stuff.

If you want perfect colors again, have a look at the Milhouse OpenELEC 8.0 builds. The only thing you might need to change their is changing the Gui Setting: "Use limited range" on or off.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Man I thought I was going crazy or that my hardware was bad. I changed the build and it works great now!!
No problem.