Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Any video i'm trying to play is laggy (no only in kodi)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

Just received my new MINIX Z83-4 with Windows 10. The only thing I've installed is Kodi (v16.1 - full install).

I'm trying to play a video (*.mkv file 720p - standard scene release, also tried simple *.avi file) in kodi, directly from the internal disk or from external disk, but its very laggy.
The video get stuck every few seconds and its impossible to watch videos this way.

CPU and Disk usage is normal.

I wanted to see if the problem is specific to kodi, so I downloaded VLC portable and tried to play the same video file.
Same result... laggy same as in kodi.

In addition I tried to play this video in the default windows 10 media player, but it wasn't able to play this video at all.

I guess it is something with codecs, but I wasn't sure since Kodi suppose to support those files by default (am I wrong?).

Help please?
Is it the standard version with 4 gigs and intel HD Graphics, your trying to play your 720p mkv file with
Did a quick Google search seems your not the only one
some have reported changing from HW to SW improves playback

and kodi and vlc use HW as default setting atleast on my PC
Hi kimkl,

1. Yes, this is the version with Intel HD graphics and 4GB ram.
2. The problem is not only with the 720p video, but also with simple *.avi file. Those file are easily played by my much weaker "Xtreamer Pro"
3. What do you mean by HW and SW, and how do I change to SW?

Thanks for the help!