Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video studder buffer on bright segments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,
I currently use Kodi sideloaded on my Amazon FireTV. I use a Synology NAS to store video files.
I have used both cable and 802.11n Wi-Fi to reach the NAS via SMB and NFS. I have noticed that when a movie hits a bright white section, the video starts to studder, stop, buffer. Then after the scene switches back to normal, it speeds up and returns to normal, where the sound also returns. It is a bit irritating, because it takes a few minutes before returning.
It has also occured on my AppleTV 2ndGen jailbroke.
The files are only 720P x264, and approx. 1 to 3 GB.

Running Jarvis 16.1 Android, but this has occured in previous versions as well.

Has anyone else had this issue? or an idea on how to resolve it?

Thanks,
Rick
Have you tried running the SPMC fork?
Thanks for the quick reply. I assume this is what you are referring to:
http://kodi.wiki/view/SPMC

I will give it a go.

I like my current install, so if anyone else has ideas, please post.

Thanks.
Have you tried other players as well?
Sounds like a network problem to me.
(2016-11-02, 16:51)rick78 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the quick reply. I assume this is what you are referring to:
http://kodi.wiki/view/SPMC

I will give it a go.

I like my current install, so if anyone else has ideas, please post.

Thanks.

Yep that's what I am referring to. Good luck.
(2016-11-02, 17:11)host505 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried other players as well?
Sounds like a network problem to me.

Thanks for the reply host505. I agree it sounds like that, I am actually a Cisco network engineer Smile I see no issues with the network, and it only occurs during certain types of of video segments. For example, in The Da Vinci Code, when the scene goes back in time and is extremely bright white. It is really quite odd, but happens in multiple movies when the scene gets real bright.
I would suspect it may be related to hardware capabilities, maybe. I will check to see if acceleration is enabled.

I am not sure what other players I could try on the FireTV. As I stated, the file is on my NAS, so I need a player that can reach and browse a share via upnp, nfs, or smb.

I use Infuse on the ATV, and the file works fine on VLC on PC.

Kodi on the Mac/PC/iPad, does not have this problem.
(2016-11-02, 17:59)rick78 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reply host505. I agree it sounds like that, I am actually a Cisco network engineer Smile I see no issues with the network, and it only occurs during certain types of of video segments. For example, in The Da Vinci Code, when the scene goes back in time and is extremely bright white. It is really quite odd, but happens in multiple movies when the scene gets real bright.
That's why it sounds like a network issue, brighter scenes usually have higher bitrates. Try setting buffermode to 1 (video_cache (wiki))
(2016-11-02, 17:59)rick78 Wrote: [ -> ]I would suspect it may be related to hardware capabilities, maybe. I will check to see if acceleration is enabled.

I am not sure what other players I could try on the FireTV. As I stated, the file is on my NAS, so I need a player that can reach and browse a share via upnp, nfs, or smb.
Yeah better check hw is on.
You can use any player (mx player for example), with a network file manager.
Thanks again for the reply host505.
I installed SPMC and there was no change. Hardware accelleration was on, and the video stopped at the exact same spots.

I installed the Advanced Settings program addon, via tvaddons.ag installer addon.After setting the following:
Cachemembuffersize to 157286400
Buffermode to 1
Readbufferfactor to 4
Wrote the XML file and restarted.

Now the video segment makes it though the trouble parts without stopping.

Thanks for letting me now that brighter scenes have higher bit rates.
You should read the forum rules (wiki) and the banned add-ons (wiki) list before you go any further.

That site is on the list, and whilst such stuff is on your system then no support is offered here.
Glad it worked.
I believe caching on lan should be enabled by default on kodi.
But normaly 720p H.264 files with moderate bitrate shouldn't have a problem through wired lan, even without it.