Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Input devices constantly being discovered
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On my PC, KODI 17 beta 5 constantly seems to discover two of my gaming controllers:

Code:
21:10:19 T:9164   ERROR: AddOnLog: Joystick Support: JOYSTICK::CJoystickInterfaceDirectInput::EnumJoysticksCallback: Failed to acquire device on: CH PRO PEDALS USB
21:10:19 T:9164   ERROR: AddOnLog: Joystick Support: JOYSTICK::CJoystickInterfaceDirectInput::EnumJoysticksCallback: Failed to acquire device on: Porsche Wheel
21:10:19 T:9164  NOTICE: PERIPHERALS::CPeripheralAddon::UnregisterRemovedDevices - device removed from joystick/peripheral.joystick/0: CH PRO PEDALS USB (068E:00F2)
21:10:19 T:9164  NOTICE: PERIPHERALS::CPeripheralAddon::UnregisterRemovedDevices - device removed from joystick/peripheral.joystick/1: Porsche Wheel (0EB7:0197)
21:10:24 T:9164   ERROR: AddOnLog: Joystick Support: JOYSTICK::CJoystickInterfaceDirectInput::EnumJoysticksCallback: Failed to acquire device on: CH PRO PEDALS USB
21:10:24 T:9164   ERROR: AddOnLog: Joystick Support: JOYSTICK::CJoystickInterfaceDirectInput::EnumJoysticksCallback: Failed to acquire device on: Porsche Wheel
21:10:29 T:9164   ERROR: AddOnLog: Joystick Support: JOYSTICK::CJoystickInterfaceDirectInput::EnumJoysticksCallback: Failed to acquire device on: CH PRO PEDALS USB
21:10:29 T:9164   ERROR: AddOnLog: Joystick Support: JOYSTICK::CJoystickInterfaceDirectInput::EnumJoysticksCallback: Failed to acquire device on: Porsche Wheel
21:10:34 T:9164   ERROR: PERIPHERAL - GetFeatures() - addon 'Joystick Support' returned an error: command failed

As this process keeps going on at irregular intervals I'd like to know if there's a way to permanently disable them in KODI.

thanks!
Well the easy fix is to Unplug them while using Kodi.

Of course with the new Game Controllers implemented with the new Kodi, there might be another way to turn them off as well.

I tend to use the easy fixes though...
Same issue here. The workaround (obviously) is to unplug them but the devs do need to see these issues to fix them properly.
I see another flight simmer. Yes, this has been an issue for a while. My suggestion is there should be a settings option in joystick support to provide a list of found controllers and allow user to disable/ignore any/all of them. For my part I just disable joystick support add-on as I have no need to try to control Kodi with a Saitek yoke and throttle.

scott s.
(2016-11-02, 22:42)Peekstra Wrote: [ -> ]On my PC, KODI 17 beta 5 constantly seems to discover two of my gaming controllers:

As this process keeps going on at irregular intervals I'd like to know if there's a way to permanently disable them in KODI.

I've fixed the problem where devices are discovered and removed every 5 seconds on my computer: https://github.com/xbmc/peripheral.joystick/pull/62

(2016-11-02, 22:56)Powerhouse Wrote: [ -> ]Of course with the new Game Controllers implemented with the new Kodi, there might be another way to turn them off as well.

The way to disable joysticks is to disable the "Joystick Support" add-on. This is a little unintuitive because it's buried in the add-on manager. Would you like this to be a system setting?

I just got my windows machine working after about 2 months of downtime, so I have a couple windows bugs to catch up on. Let me know if you hit any other bugs.
(2016-11-07, 04:24)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]The way to disable joysticks is to disable the "Joystick Support" add-on. This is a little unintuitive because it's buried in the add-on manager. Would you like this to be a system setting?

I just got my windows machine working after about 2 months of downtime, so I have a couple windows bugs to catch up on. Let me know if you hit any other bugs.

First off, garbear, I know from following the PRs you have been doing a lot of work on controllers so thank you for that.

There used to be a settings to disable joysticks and also live tv. For some reason, management decided they didn't like that design and removed the settings. I didn't understand the logic for that change, but it is what it is, not worth fighting IMHO.

But there needs to be some wiki updates on how to manage controllers. I think otherwise users won't take advantage of the work you have done.

scott s.
(2016-11-07, 06:11)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]There used to be a settings to disable joysticks and also live tv. For some reason, management decided they didn't like that design and removed the settings. I didn't understand the logic for that change, but it is what it is, not worth fighting IMHO.

My feeling is that this is treating the symptom, not the problem. A controller that is connected but untouched shouldn't cause any detrimental behavior in Kodi, and if so then it's a bug that should be fixed.

The constant reconnection should be fixed in the next nightly. I'm interested in hearing of any issues you're still having.

(2016-11-07, 06:11)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]But there needs to be some wiki updates on how to manage controllers. I think otherwise users won't take advantage of the work you have done.

I hear you loud and clear. I've started a http://kodi.wiki/view/Game_controllers section that links to a basic HOW-TO and an in-depth fix for 3rd-party wireless 360 controller receivers on windows 7. If there's anything you think is unclear, let me know and I'll try to include it in the wiki.

The foundation has used donation money to buy me 1 of every major controller. Over the next few weeks I'll document any steps needed to get them working across our supported OSes. It's a lot of work, but on the bright side i never have to worry about a lack of controllers when friends come over Smile
(2016-11-07, 04:24)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]I've fixed the problem where devices are discovered and removed every 5 seconds on my computer: https://github.com/xbmc/peripheral.joystick/pull/62

Thanks for the quick fix garbear! I hope that it will show up soon the RC's or final.

So finally flightsimming and Kodi will work again on the same machine. Smile
(2016-11-15, 20:45)Peekstra Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-11-07, 04:24)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]I've fixed the problem where devices are discovered and removed every 5 seconds on my computer: https://github.com/xbmc/peripheral.joystick/pull/62

Thanks for the quick fix garbear! I hope that it will show up soon the RC's or final.

Can you try the nightly? The fix should have entered our builds on the 7th of November. If you want to wait for the RC, that should be released in the next few weeks.

Question: What flightstick do you use?

(2016-11-15, 20:45)Peekstra Wrote: [ -> ]So finally flightsimming and Kodi will work again on the same machine. Smile

Who says someday flightsimming won't work in Kodi? Wink

I did an install of Win32 1112 nightly as an update of an existing Kodi 16.0 inistall and enabled joystick support. It finds my 4 attached controllers and they didn't cause any problem in Kodi. I didn't try to actually use them as input devices, as they are flight sim controllers and not really applicable for Kodi.

scott s.
(2016-11-15, 20:55)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]Can you try the nightly? The fix should have entered our builds on the 7th of November. If you want to wait for the RC, that should be released in the next few weeks.

Question: What flightstick do you use?

It seems to work just fine! Big Grin

I've currently a Fanatec GT3 Porsche Wheel and the CH Pro Pedals attached. My CH Yoke and Throttle Quadrant will be reconnected when I've upgraded Prepar3d Wink