Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Please implement 'Asynchronous connect' compatibility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I recently posted a thread at http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=295684 where I highlighted an issue wherein the Mediaportal PVR add-on would fail to load when the Mediaportal TVServer backend is asleep and the client Kodi would need to be reloaded even after the server has awoken in order for the add-on to reload. Ksooo suggested in that thread that the reason for this behaviour is that the add-on is not compatible with Krypton's new 'asynchronous connect' method which handles connection to a backend in a more elegant manner. Please could this feature be added to the add-on to fix this issue.

Thanks
The PVR addon is properly sending a ADDON_STATUS_LOST_CONNECTION state to Kodi, so it is a Kodi bug if it behaves different from Jarvis.
I haven't seen any PVR deprecation notice indicating that the pvr addon devs should modify this, so if it is broken (and yes I can confirm that is broken), it is a regression bug in Kodi.

I will not fix the addon for things that I did not break.
I checked all PVR addons and almost all use the same ADDON_STATUS_LOST_CONNECTION state that I'm using already since XBMC Frodo.
Hi margro, thanks for replying. Sorry for jumping the gun and posting this as a feature request, I should have just asked about the issue I was experiencing, my bad. Wherever the bug is I hope someone can fix it Tongue
@margro sorry, not every changed behavior is a bug. For Krypton, it is no longer working to send PVR_ERROR_CONNECTION_LOST on Create(). As I explained in another thread, this was a hacky mess we changed for Krypton.

Maybe we missed to communicate this early or did not clear enough (sorry for that) but you need to change your add-on to get this working again.
@ksooo: Well, I haven't seen any PVR API change a deprecation warning or any documentation about how to implement the new stuff, so without proper notice in time, no PVR addon developer will update their addons.
I checked all of them yesterday and only TVHeadend seems to implement the new async stuff. All others use PVR_ERROR_CONNECTION_LOST.
I completely agree with the new solution, but removing the old way of working before the PVR addons are updated is asking for trouble.
Therefore I consider the current situation as a regression bug since known to work addons are suddenly getting bug reports for stuff that is suddenly broken without any announcement.

I won't have time to update the addon so I will advice people to stay on Jarvis. I'm not going to update the MediaPortal PVR addon for Krypton.
(2016-11-05, 18:24)margro Wrote: [ -> ]I won't have time to update the addon so I will advice people to stay on Jarvis. I'm not going to update the MediaPortal PVR addon for Krypton.

That's understandable, as you only have so much free time, but it is disappointing. Is it possible that someone else will be able to make the necessary fixes?
In general I announce API changes in the forum but for some reason I have missed that for this change. Sorry for that, was not by intent.
Apologies accepted ;-)
It was a bit of an unpleasant surprise for me, therefore overreacted a bit out of frustration.
It is probably still a good idea to put the mssing references to the Krypton PVR API changes (at least a reference to the pull requests) in the PVR API change thread such that also the other PVR devs are aware of the extensions.

Anyway, I'm currently trying to implement the async stuff by reverse engineering the TVHeadend PVR addon changes. With a bit of luck (and time) I will have something ready soon.
@margro great. If you have questions feel free to contact me. I will be happy to help.
Just wanted to say thanks to margro for implementing this feature into the latest Krypton nightly. Works great. Thanks so much!
(2016-12-11, 18:15)lokum Wrote: [ -> ]Just wanted to say thanks to margro for implementing this feature into the latest Krypton nightly. Works great. Thanks so much!

Which nightly is it in, and on which platforms?

Best wishes,

Mark
(2016-12-12, 11:11)mcelliott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-11, 18:15)lokum Wrote: [ -> ]Just wanted to say thanks to margro for implementing this feature into the latest Krypton nightly. Works great. Thanks so much!

Which nightly is it in, and on which platforms?

Best wishes,

Mark

Hi Mark. It was merged two days ago so should be in all the latest nightlies on all platforms afaik (I think that's how the nightly builds work when something's merged - https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.mediapor...er/pull/53). I use the windows version myself.so I know it's been added to that.(Beta 7 45458d8, Compiled Dec 11).
Yes, I merged the async connect two days ago to Krypton and master.
This means that it is now available in the nightlies starting with the December 11 build.
For Windows, OSX, IOS, Android and you can find a Krypton nightly here: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/ (take the Krypton folder for your platform).
I don't know the details for the Linux builds.
Hi,

I haven't seen any announcement about this change. Could you drive me to explain what has been changed in the behavior and how to handle it in krypton. Thanks.