Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: External HDD's Unusual & Inconsistent Sharing Behaviour
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

After an update bricked my Widows10 PC I have purchased a Minix NEO U1. I have my media spread across 20 USB HDD's. As the U1 can only accept 5 drives I am connecting the HDD's to a PC with USB Hubs & sharing them. The PC O/S is Vista Ultimate & the PC is on an Ethernet connection to the router as is the NEO U1.

When adding media to KODI & 'Browsing', the U1 can see the Workgroup & from there I can access the PC with the HDD's connected. All the connected drives then show up in the list. However, even though KODI can see all the drives it can only connect to some of the HDD's at ant one time & which HDD's it connects to changes from session to session making it difficult to pinpoint the problem. Some of the drives will allow me to add media but some ask for the PC's password. But when I enter the password (and clicking on the 'Remember Details' switch) it does not want to access the drive, just continually asking for the password.

The biggest mystery to me is that there is no consistency as to which drives I can access as it changes not only from session to session but also within a session making pinpointing the problem very difficult. If I close the session & shut KODI completely then restart I can access different drives each time!!??

Logically, it can't be the PC that is serving the data as I can see all the drives so it makes me question if there is a limit to the no. of HDD's that the U1/Android can access at any one time? My basic knowledge of PC's & networking has me tentatively ruling out the PC side of the equation unless there is a network limitation, a router limitation or even a Vista O/S limitation that I don't know about? In the same vein I think I can rule out KODI being the problem as I have connected 20+ HDD's to KODI before, all attached to a standalone PC.

I have done a lot of searching & reading & I am wondering if it is anything to do with the way the work group is set up?

I am completely stumped & hope that someone can offer some advice. At the moment there are 15 Hdd's (14 0n 2x7 port USB hubs & the C: drive which has no media on it) I will be connecting another 7 drives when I buy another 7 port hub but I am going to hold off until I fix this.

I am using the bundled version of XBMC on the NEO U1 but the problem is the same on the latest version of KODI for Android which I have downloaded.

Thank you,

MartinK
Hi All,

I've given it a week & I was wondering if I hadn't provided enough info (or too much Smile ) for anyone to be able to give an answer or is mine a unique problem.

Thanks & sorry for the bump

Martin