Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: video caching not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just now I was trying to playback a recording from my pvr, but unfortunately my internet is quite poor and it didn't work without stuttering. Pausing it temporarily didn't work, so I looked up if it's possible to increase the video cache in Kodi.

After creating an advancedsettings.xml with buffermode 1, buffer size 200 MB and read factor of three, I didn't see any result. The stream would still stutter soon after buffering, pausing it had no effect. In the Windows task manager I saw that it would continue loading the video for about 10 seconds at the bitrate of the file (so not at the read multiplier), and after that the network usage of Kodi would disappear. I also looked at the RAM, but as it didn't increase, evidently there was no cache being built up.

Obviously I tried different combinations, increasing the readfactor didn't work, nor did changing the buffermode to 0 (1 should cover everything anyway). When using buffermode 1, local caching also didn't work. I tried upgrading to 17 beta 5, and using the new parameters and the cache function, but to no avail.

Reinstalling Kodi 16.1 didn't have any effect, I also tried it with deleting the profile folder.

See here for the debug log: http://pastebin.com/6vmqTmWb
You should reread the forum rules (wiki), especially the banned add-ons (wiki) list as you have a banned repo installed on your system. That precludes any support here whilst it's in place.
(2016-11-07, 18:18)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]You should reread the forum rules (wiki), especially the banned add-ons (wiki) list as you have a banned repo installed on your system. That precludes any support here whilst it's in place.

Well it's all good now. It doesn't change anything though, I only used the kinkin repo for the easy advanced editing add-on as I was under the impression that this caching issue was caused by my inability to create a proper advancedsettings.xml file.