Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Swapping skins and losing previously setup views....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Suppose you have multiple skins (I've about 7) and you setup each skin the way you want (specifically the view types - ie. for Movies you might have a poster view, for TV shows a banner view, for episodes a list view for skin1, then for skin2 you might have a different setup etc). I find that if I change skins, the previously set up views are almost always 'lost' and I have to set them up again.

This happens consistently. I was assuming the 'addon_data' folder would hold this information per skin so that the views I have setup for each skin would always be remembered if I switched skins.

Is this a kodi bug, a bug with the way the skin is coded, or is there a setting somewhere within kodi (an advanced setting perhaps) to prevent this from happening??

Many thanks for any info!
How are you exiting? You need to do a proper "shutdown" of kodi for it save anything. So my recommendation would be to setup a skin the way you like it, exit properly and then start it backup. When everything is working as it should, a simple exit saves all settings.
I think you'll find those views are stored in guisettings.xml - ie they're not individual settings for each skin.
Changing skins should also trigger a save (when the original skin is unloaded prior to the new one being loaded). Doing that is normally quite a reliable trick for ensuring that adjustments and settings actually get stored.

One question I do have is when you say settings are "lost", what do you mean, specifically which settings are lost? Whilst some settings will be specific to the skin, others are for Kodi itself and so will be inherited by whatever skin is loaded. So if your changes are to those, then anything that you had set up previously before using another skin (and from what you say making changes on that skin) will be overwritten by the changes make to that other skin.

Also which version of Kodi are you using, as I think things were changed recently (I don't recall offhand if it was Jarvis or Krypton) with where and how skin settings were stored.
@darren - Jarvis onwards skin settings are in addon_data. Views are still in guisettings.xml as far as I can see.
That ties in with the observed behaviour.
(2016-11-14, 17:06)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]I think you'll find those views are stored in guisettings.xml - ie they're not individual settings for each skin.

Thanks,

That would explain everything. Confused
@trogggy - thanks - I could recall things had changed in this area but as I said wasn't sure exactly when and which bits of it.

@ukmark62 - if you want things more split, you could perhaps look at using separate profiles (wiki) for movies and TV shows. Not as convenient of course, but by doing so and switching profiles rather than skins you could have fairly much independent settings for each, including available sources, views and skins.