Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi on a 512 MB RAM Android phone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I have an question,

I have a Sonim XP7 phone but it was complicated to access the 1/8 audio jack since its under a protective plate and I will need all the time to remove the screw to access the jack under the plate and when done, I will need replace the plate and screw the screw... It will be a nightmare specifically if I lost the screw as my phone will be not water proof anymore and it will become the same junk as the iPhone/Samsung, and all the rest... Whatever, its not the point...

So, I want to buy an very low cost Android based phone like the Sky Device 4.0D available at Newegg.ca at the cost of 89.99 CAD. And use this phone as music player, I will use the LTE cellular of my Sonim XP7 and share it via his WiFi hotspot functionality and the Sky Device 4.0D will be able to get internet access and play music from one of my files storage servers. But my inquiry is, as this Android phone only has 512MB of RAM, is Kodi will be able to run without any issues and playing music in .wav format?

Thanks and have a great night to all!

Guillaume
OMG, why would you buy phone for 90CAD when you can buy TV Box for 40USB? And to listen to musicHuh Why KODI? You can use any player to listen to music, if you are not connecting it to the TV, use remote etc (making basically a HTPC)?

But to the question - on my TV box, 1Gb is just enough to run KODI (better 2Gb), but 512Mb could be too little...
Good evening!

Ok great, I will bring my 50” TV with me when doing a walk in the neighborhood[/align] and use an extra long power cord or better than this, I will setup something to carrying an electric generator with me to energize the TV! LOL! I’m just joking. No worry... I will never doing this...

So, what I need another Android device who is capable to run Kodi, for playing audio only, I’m not planning to play video, and this device will be not activated/registered on any mobile services providers since I will connect it to my Sonim XP7 Android phone via IEEE 802.11 hotspot and this phone have LTE cellular network with data enabled on it.

So I know now for which who have Android TV box, 1 GB is ok but, 2 GB can better but how about Android cellphones? Is 512 MB is enough to run Kodi? I just want to make sure it can work because if not, I will buy a phone with 1 GB of RAM instead. I know 1 GB is ok because my Sonim XP7 have 1 GB of RAM and I never got into issues with Kodi even when playing 1080p videos.

Have a good evening!

Guillaume
Well, my point is you can listen to music with another Android app instead of Kodi... unless you need some radio streaming kodi addon etc....
I understand your point.

Can I please know if the Kodi app will be able to start on a Android phone with only 512 MB of RAM and if yes, I will be able to play audio without any issues?

Thanks,

Guillaume
Anyone?
i use thisold old old tablet with his original rom to run kodi and listen music (not sure if i have jarvis or isengard).
Peppe
Interesting!

As I see, your tablet has 512 MB of RAM and Kodi can run on it, I will buy the SkyDevice Android based cell phone, and will try to run Kodi on it, if it won't work, newegg.ca offer 30 days returns (extended to January 31, 2017. In the case I getting issues, I will be able to return it and get one who will support Kodi.

Thanks to both for your help ;-)

Guillaume