Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: where is [X] KILL button ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just tried jarvis version on Win 7.
WHY does this monster have to take over my computer ?!?
I eventually found some advanced settings, marked to NOT go full screen - but it still does !
and WHY does this - what is supposed to be a 'media player' have to try to control my whole computer ??
what appears to be an OFF button - wants to turn off my computer, as like the windows start button ?!?!?!?!?
It wont let me open task manager while it is running !
WHY cannot this player have a border - like all other players so you can customize the play window size ?
I very rarely use full screen on any player , so Why Default this video player to run Full Screen ??
and WHERE is the KILL [X] button so it can be Closed?; and those other window Max/Down restore buttons - like ALL NORMAL players or progs ?!?!
- the only way I found to close kodi was to [alt]+[tab] to take focus from the player and then right click the taskbar icon to close the prog ... ! ...
WHY when a video is playing does it have to have all the distractions running ??
- a streaming text in the bottom bar ?
- the controls and other unsightly menus etc.- all on top of the video play area ?!?!?
this player NEEDs to get back to the KISS principle - Keep It SIMPLE stupid !I
the Advanced Options are too limited - with no apparent ability to actually customize the appearance or layout of the player, etc.
it looks to have potential ... ... BUT ....
I have tried it , and uninstalled - until many improvements which need to be implemented ... ... Sad
Press "\" to switch between windowed and full screen. See the wiki for a full list of keyboard (wiki) controls. And even in full screen mode, alt-tab will still work to go to the desktop or other running programs.

In either case though, it's recommended to close Kodi via the quit menu item in the main menu ribbon. On closing it updates a lot of its files and databases, so if you force-close it (just closing the window in windowed mode) you risk at best that not happening, and at worst things getting corrupted if the files are open at the time.
Hahah Jesus, you are full of fail.
PEBKAC.
my thoughts exactly.
(2016-11-15, 16:21)trog7 Wrote: [ -> ]just tried jarvis version on Win 7.
WHY does this monster have to take over my computer ?!?
I eventually found some advanced settings, marked to NOT go full screen - but it still does !
and WHY does this - what is supposed to be a 'media player' have to try to control my whole computer ??
what appears to be an OFF button - wants to turn off my computer, as like the windows start button ?!?!?!?!?
It wont let me open task manager while it is running !
WHY cannot this player have a border - like all other players so you can customize the play window size ?
I very rarely use full screen on any player , so Why Default this video player to run Full Screen ??
and WHERE is the KILL [X] button so it can be Closed?; and those other window Max/Down restore buttons - like ALL NORMAL players or progs ?!?!
- the only way I found to close kodi was to [alt]+[tab] to take focus from the player and then right click the taskbar icon to close the prog ... ! ...
WHY when a video is playing does it have to have all the distractions running ??
- a streaming text in the bottom bar ?
- the controls and other unsightly menus etc.- all on top of the video play area ?!?!?
this player NEEDs to get back to the KISS principle - Keep It SIMPLE stupid !I
the Advanced Options are too limited - with no apparent ability to actually customize the appearance or layout of the player, etc.
it looks to have potential ... ... BUT ....
I have tried it , and uninstalled - until many improvements which need to be implemented ... ... Sad

I wish I could get the 2 minutes I spent reading your post back but we can't have everything right?! Big Grin
Kodi is a media centre NOT a media player and is designed primarily to be run fullscreen on a device connected to a TV and controlled from the couch/sofa, if you don't know the difference between a media center and media player you have to look no further than Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player.
I have a little bit of sympathy with the OP, as that's how I felt when I first installed Babylon (I think) far too many years ago. The difference is that I didn't register on the forum just to complain about what I clearly didn't understand, and decided to dig a little more instead. I don't go into libraries and shout at the staff when I find a book that I don't understand, either.

Use VLC if you want to just watch a movie on the go on your laptop. Keep your hands off the keyboard if you want to use Kodi "free from distractions when a video is playing", and stop mousing around while you hunt for a window menu that isn't there at the moment.

Failing that, if you're feeling adventurous, try Kodi as it's meant to be used, on the other side of the room on a large-screen display.
(2016-11-15, 17:19)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]I have a little bit of sympathy with the OP, as that's how I felt when I first installed Babylon (I think) far too many years ago. The difference is that I didn't register on the forum just to complain about what I clearly didn't understand, and decided to dig a little more instead. I don't go into libraries and shout at the staff when I find a book that I don't understand, either.

Use VLC if you want to just watch a movie on the go on your laptop. Keep your hands off the keyboard if you want to use Kodi "free from distractions when a video is playing", and stop mousing around while you hunt for a window menu that isn't there at the moment.

Failing that, if you're feeling adventurous, try Kodi as it's meant to be used, on the other side of the room on a large-screen display.

Even if kodi is meant to be used on a HTPC-like device hooked up to a TV, it can also be used on a computer

The OP just did not understand that kodi is not the kind of software he was looking for
(2016-11-15, 18:02)Gracus Wrote: [ -> ]Even if kodi is meant to be used on a HTPC-like device hooked up to a TV, it can also be used on a computer

Yes, of course it can, but my point was that it's not ideal unless you want the full media library, cover art, etc. - otherwise, a few mp4 and mkv files and VLC is perfectly adequate.
If you misunderstand or struggle to understand something and ask for help you'll hopefully get a bunch of people ready to help.
If you misunderstand, assume the problem lies with the software and register on the forum to tell everyone what a pile of poo it is you will probably get (and deserve) a quite different response.
'Just tried Jarvis on windows 7 - OMG what a nightmare, the only way I could shut it down was to... What am I missing?'
I certainly wouldn't be sarcastic towards that post - I've probably made its equivalent here and there.
Sounds like the OP is really looking for VLC, not Kodi :-P
(2016-11-15, 16:21)trog7 Wrote: [ -> ]and WHERE is the KILL [X] button so it can be Closed?; and those other window Max/Down restore buttons - like ALL NORMAL players or progs ?!?!

<alt>+<F4> ?!?

scott s.