Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help skinning for Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone. I was looking into making kodi skins but what I was able to find I really didn't understand much. Like I'm willing to start and learn how to but I just can't find enough information around. To be honest I really know nothing about coding, of any kind but I know something about graphics so I started making something... without even considering this factor. This is my first attempt at it. My inspiration is the Zephyr skin so consider this skin sort of a parent of that...
Anyways if interested I made 2 mockups hoping it shows the style I'm aiming for. Would appreciaate if u guys let me know if it is even worth going through this.

http://imgur.com/a/3b7ID

Basicly what I would like to know: is there are video or longer tutorials about coding skins for kodi or in general with the language kosi uses, And if the design I'm going for is too ambitious and not every effect can be achieved.
- Shine animation effect when u hover over a movies.
- Drop shadow.
- the Rainbow gradient on text and othe elements.
- A little notification for when there is an addon update.
- Widget of that type?

Sorry if I used the wrong place to post this but I'm having a hard time deciding where to post it.
(2016-11-15, 20:44)Swageroni_ Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone. I was looking into making kodi skins but what I was able to find I really didn't understand much. Like I'm willing to start and learn how to but I just can't find enough information around. To be honest I really know nothing about coding, of any kind but I know something about graphics so I started making something... without even considering this factor. This is my first attempt at it. My inspiration is the Zephyr skin so consider this skin sort of a parent of that...
Anyways if interested I made 2 mockups hoping it shows the style I'm aiming for. Would appreciaate if u guys let me know if it is even worth going through this.

[link to images using piracy add-ons as an example removed] - dangelus

Basicly what I would like to know: is there are video or longer tutorials about coding skins for kodi or in general with the language kosi uses, And if the design I'm going for is too ambitious and not every effect can be achieved.
- Drop shadow.
- the Rainbow gradient on text and othe elements.
- Widget of that type?

Sorry if I used the wrong place to post this but I'm having a hard time deciding where to post it.

Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules if you wish to have a meaningful dialogue here.

Don't use piracy add-ons in your mock-up illustrations please.
I feel stupid right now, as I used things that first came in mind and didn't put alot of thought into that part... Sorry. Once I fix those element where do u suggest me to open a new thred, if u would suggest me that is. Thanks!
No just replace my edit in your post with your new link once you have corrected your mistake.
You might want to remove that last image from imgur if you don't want your link being deleted again! In answer to your question what you are proposing is certainly possible, if you're handy with photoshop & can create the textures you just need to learn how the xml code hangs together. This might be quite a steep learning curve for you or you may pick it up quite easily, I don't know. But all the info you need is in the kodi wiki here http://kodi.wiki/view/Skinning
Edited everything.
Hi Swageroni, welcome to skinning!

Pretty much everything you've shown in your mockups can be done with the Kodi skinning engine with a bit of thought.

Yes. The trick there is to use transparent PNGs and multiple layers. Can be done.

- Drop shadow.
Yes - multiple layers again. Some of the work-in-progress apple tv kodi skins have that effect if you want to reverse engineer it.

- the Rainbow gradient on text and other elements.
Some elements yes, but not on the text - that needs to be a solid colour - unless someone knows a trick I don't!

Yes - Kodi has that function built in already.

- Widget of that type?
Sure, can't see why not. Again, get on github and look at how similar skins are coded.
I know nothing about coding or skinning but I want to change some things and have been make adjustments to make thing the way I want them as stated most everything is in the wiki for skinning and these guy are great at helping out when you get stuck... Be prepared for a lot of reading and a lot of skin reloads.... I actually make a button an the window I am working on so its much fast to reload.... But believe me it can be done just remember the skin is on top of Kodi... Kodi still works the way kodi works your just changing the view. Basically what I am saying if you want that u may want to take a skin close to it and mod it until you learn what is required. You will learn a lot if you...
@thedeadman

So i can use codes from other skins? Do i have to ask Permission to creators?
As I was told yesterday mike_doc.... The code is open source but if you are going to be using someone else work and textures then you should at least ask. Also in my mods i have a credits section just to let people that are helping you know that you appreciate their help... Especially if you do you the stuff.
Does dreamweaver work for skinning in xml for kodi?
@Swageroni_

We all build on each others code. I for one give my work on Kodi to the community freely and welcome others to use it as they see fit.

However, if you do use a particular technique, style or design that is clearly sourced from someone elses work, it is good manners to acknowledge the original skinner.

RE: Dreamweaver.. It depends what you want to get out of it. Skinning Kodi is not like creating a website and there is no graphical drag and drop method. Any text editor is fine - Atom is a good choice if you want something free.
Fair enough. Just wanted to be sure I can use codes. As for graphics no issues there. I'm just scared of the damn code. I started watching tutorials about xml and python Smile Hard af but had to start from somewhere. The only coding I'v done is html for making a stupid website Sad For now I'm tryin to build a concept first and learn the code alongside. Also checked the wiki about skinning and discovered a long page of codes wich I missed before. Should help alot. Thanks for the headsup!
No worries. Start simple and work up :-)
As I stated before I am a beginner.... I started with a animation mode making png images move and float across the screen and each time I would build on it and make things more complicated... Now I have my own includes file actually a couple... And I have a couple pop-up dialog s and even my own window.....I feel that I could in time work my was up to a view type... But for now I can basically custimize all home and setting windows.... And feel pretty comfortable with it.... Still get lost at time and need advice but that why there is this forum..... I guess what I am saying is start out small pick a skin you like and move a image or some text around the screen....and I recommend learn to do a radio button with skin reloads so when you are working on a window you can make small adjustments without a lot of bs to reload the skin.

And ways. Good luck and go get it... It kinda addicting.
Pages: 1 2