Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Request/feasability: Script to stop the Xbox idling off...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey folks,

The environmentally friendly and the fire safety concious of you will doubtless disapprove of what I'm about to say...but:

I like to leave my Xbox on. It lets me access it (ftp etc) from outside the house and it lets me have it on overnight.

The problem is that I have discovered the unit has a most anoying habbit of switching itself off over 3 or 4 hours. I don't know whether this is some programmed in 'feature' or whether it's some temperature dependent cutoff or something but I'm suspicious that there's an idle timer and that the unit will switch itself off if there are no button presses over a certain time period - regardless of whether it's playing anything or not.

If so I'm wondering if a script to simply send a few button presses or actions that might stop the idle-out timer from doing it's countdown to allow me to keep my xbox on.

All the best,

TheBoxMan.
This is a DFU error. You have Auto-Off enabled. It's a setting you can find in the MS Dashboard. From that application: "The Auto Off Feature shuts down the console after six hours of inactivity." It has nothing to do with XBMC.
TheBoxMan Wrote:I'm suspicious that there's an idle timer and that the unit will switch itself off if there are no button presses over a certain time period
There is an idle shutdown timer that shutdown the Xbox after it been idle for set time but that is controllable via the GUI settings. There no additional automatic shutdown timer in XBMC (hidden or otherwise), which means that the only other reason that your Xbox would automaticly shutdown yourself is overheating (as the Xbox should do it is overheating).
Overheating was one of the thoughts. The obvious feature is disabled.

I'll take a look at the old MS dash Sleepy but I doubt it. My xbox is hardmodded using an executer 2 modchip - not softmodded - MS dash isn't used anymore - so I'd be a little bit suspicious about it's settings doing anything.

Also I'm using XBMC as the dash via the shortcut program.....

Looks like it *is*overheating...I'll need to think how to solve that one.
It's a property of the xbox itself. The ms dash just turns said property on and off.

I highly doubt it's overheating - particularly when idle!