Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stuck in scanning movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I'm running the latest beta but this problem also existed in 16.1 and it's the reason I tried upgrading!

Whenever I start kodi it loads the existing library well enough. But it just says "scanning movies using The Movie Database" and it gets no where, it just remains at 0%. Sometimes I get lucky and after a few hours it will start actually updating but it does so painfully slow. If I try to shut down my htpc using the remote or using the shutdown button in kodi it just crashes.

This problem suddenly appeared without me actually doing anything. So what can be the problem?
I had a similar problem. Turned out to be poor management of the usb drives attached to my Asus router. I had to unplug the drives.. Reboot the router and add the drives later.
Once they were fully accessible again (tested the drive paths) Kodi would do a scan and clean in no time.

I moved the drives to my NAS and never looked back.

Maybe your problem is caused by Windows handling of Samba paths or Asus Usb application (never knew who to blame).

Hope this help point you in the right direction.
Shut down the auto scan on start-up. That's not the solution, but will get Kodi operational quickly. Next step would be to do a custom manual scrape on any individual movie (TMdb has a few issues of late) and note the scrape time, etc.. if the scrape seems too long +3 minutes, look at your firewall. (you could also change the scraper). If the scrape was normal, then it's likely that your internal library might have issues. A proper debug log posted to a public past bin and that URL linked back to this thread would go a long way towards a solve. log (wiki)

As a last note: Scrapers have issues with nomenclature Naming video files/Movies (wiki)