Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Manual Update / Migration from OpenELEC issue on Chromebox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been extremely happy with the Asus Chromebox as my openelec player but as it was running Kodi v13 I tired to update. After reading a fair bit it appeared that many ppl were migrating from openelec to libreelec. After doing alot of searching I came across the tutorial shown here from the https://libreelec.tv/downloads/ page >> https://youtu.be/0tY91ce0ezI

The problem is this page refers only to LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-7.0.2.tar I followed that tutorial to the letter and placed this file that i now realize is for the Raspi2 on my chromebox. As such my chromebox will no longer boot.

I am at a black screen that says:

Booting from Hard Disk...

Syslinux 6.02 EDD 2013-10-13
Booting Kernel failed: Invalid Argument
Boot: _

I have tried to load the PROPER LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0.2 on a usb drive but I cant figure out how to get it to boot to the usb in its current state.

I am stuck with no idea how to proceed.

Any ideas?
T
Bugger, that hurts. The page does refer to other architectures, click the raspberry pi one and it brings up a menu.

Now if you boot from your usb (press esc on a wired keyboard to choose to boot from usb) then you'll be able to install your desired version but it will wipe your existing setup.

If you don't want that wiped there will be another way. Let me know if you want to know how...
Hi Nickr,

i have the same issue. i migrated from openelec to libreelec on a pc and have the same error. i dont want a fresh install but would appreciate instructions on how to complete the migration process.

Thank you in advance for your help.
So what did you do before you got this error?
I had the most recent openelec version. Decided to go with libreelec, coplied the libreelec upgrade file to the upgrade folder. Rebooted. During bootup. "Booting kernel failed:invalid argument". On pc system. Correct update was applied.

Many thanks
Use a different USB stick, that was what made the difference for me
Thank you xsist,

I think you situation is slightly different to mine in the fact I don't want a fresh install but an upgrade.
So exactly what update file did you use?
Hi Nickr,

I used the pc version of libreelec and was on the most recent. I've seen threads where people have uploaded the wrong version etc. This is not the case for me. Because of the time zones and delay in questions and reply's. I would appreciate it , if you could provide the solution that you offered to xsist. That would be great.

Many thanks
Trouble is I can't remember what it was LOL.

And besides, you have a different problem. Xsist tried to update with the wrong file, you tell me you used the correct one (although you won't say exactly which file you used.)

You could try extracting the KERNEL and SYSTEM files from a Generic tar file, say http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-G...-8.0.2.tar

and put them in /flash directory of your libreelec hard drive. You'll need to mount /flash read-write first.