Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: View music library by "Album Artist"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to view the music library sorted by "Album Artist" instead of "Artist"?

Way to many compilations/mixes where each artist is only in my library once. I'd rather have them all under "various artists" where they belong Smile

Loving the new skin everyone, thanks to all the devs and beta testers!
Moved here because this is not an Estuary specific issue.

Quote:Is it possible to view the music library sorted by "Album Artist" instead of "Artist"?

Assuming you mean as an option for any "songs" node, as "albums" nodes are sorted by album artist when sort = "artist" anyway. I am looking at adding use of the ARTISTSORT tag to v18, so artists that are individuals can be by surname, I will keep that in mind at the same time.

I assume that you know how to use the "show song and album artists" setting, and the COMPILATION tag, to reduce the display of those one track only artists in the artists node? Otherwise I am not sure what you mean by "I'd rather have them all under "various artists" where they belong".
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into this more but when I opened my music library and clicked 'artists' it showed me every artist, not just album artists. Then upon choosing an artist I would choose an album and then a song. This I think I was in an album node and it was definitely not showing album artists. I tried editing my own node but still seemingly only found ways to show the artist tag, not sort by the album artist tag
Node to display only album artists

PHP Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node type="folder" visible="Library.HasContent(Music)">
    <label>Artists (No Compilations)</label>
    <path>musicdb://artists/?compilation=false&albumartistonly=true</path>
</node> 

Code is for Jarvis, if anything is wrong there for Krypton @DaveBlake will hopefully correct it Wink
EDIT: Yeap, been in and done that Smile
This works in v16 on. Folder type nodes only have <path>, "filter" type have rules, <content> and <order>
- Dave

Node only lists album artists and if an artist has several albums (a, b, c) and also appears on compilations (d, e) on selecting the artist it will only show a, b, c. If you want to see the compilations as well you would have to use the original artist node (Artists).
Nice try @black_eagle. Worth noting that Krypton behaves slightly differently to Jarvis, and also has an "album artists only" artist node by default, tucked away under the Roles menu item.
Behaviour: say your example artist also features on a song on album x by a different artist.
  • In Jarvis x will appear in the albums for our artist, along with a, b, c in that example node. That node rules out the compilation albums when you navigate, but not those with the odd featured track.
  • In Krypton the "albumartistonly=true" will also be applied at album level, and only albums a, b, c will appear.
(2016-12-09, 05:26)Smitty2k1 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reply. I'll look into this more but when I opened my music library and clicked 'artists' it showed me every artist, not just album artists. Then upon choosing an artist I would choose an album and then a song. This I think I was in an album node and it was definitely not showing album artists. I tried editing my own node but still seemingly only found ways to show the artist tag, not sort by the album artist tag

All versions of Kodi apply the "show song and album artists" setting (wrongly called "Include artists that only appear on compilations" before v17). If this is disabled then the default "artists" node only shows album artists. Maybe you want to use this to just see album artists?

When sorting albums by artist it uses album artist. When sorting songs by artist song artist is used.
Thanks for the extra info. I hope to look at it Sunday evening.
Using the node editor plugin I made a new node for "artists" and set "album artists only = true". For some reason this wasn't working earlier, but it appears to be functioning fine now!