Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Comcast Data Caps .... Live TV Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have a family of 5 and the streaming from Netflix, Amazon, PS Vue, and all other sources have been causing me to use approximately 1.5 to 2TB per month.

The only way to stop this is to eliminate some kids and make it a family of 3 but I couldn't decide which ones to keep. The next option has been to either add a Tivo or an HDHomerun (not the crappy comcast box).

Cost wise I think the HDHomerun is the best choice but I was wondering what is the best live tv (easiest to use for kids) to use with Kodi. I was looking at the Silicon Dust solution or possibly a mythTV option. I went to the LiveTV forums and there are so many options. Figured I would at least ask for a good place to start.
silicondust solution by far.
I use 3 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Primes, and have Kodi as my interface for all of the TVs in the house. I originally started with MythTV as the backend, but I've since moved to Tvheadend.

The initial configuration of Tvheadend was a bit difficult and awkward (mostly because the software doesn't fully support the Prime), but once it is up and running, it requires very little maintenance. Just make sure you use a current 4.1 version of Tvheadend (that is the development/beta branch) because there are new features that make setting up a Prime much easier than are available in the current stable release of Tvheadend (4.0.9).
I have an old HDHR3-US and was trying to play with it prior to buying the prime. It appears this model is unsupported with the Kodi App. Dang..... I can get video but can't get it to change channels. I am not sure the HDHR app from Kodi is going to be the best choice when dealing with 220 channels. I can't see how to search or look up a grid.

Could be the unsupported device. The fireTV has an HDHR app but it can't see my device at all...probably the same issue.