Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stuttering unless OSD is on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Here's a new log from the build KodiSetup-20170101-cbab2bd-master in case it might reveal what's wrong: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzfYgu...UxLMk1mTFU

@fritsch
Thanks!
It's not really that i'm seeing wrong range but i did some more testing and it might perhaps be an effect by conversion back and forwards between limited and full in my receivers. They are set to correct levels and i've seen it both with Denon and Onkyo but perhaps they get their video part at the same place Smile It's just that a contour is added around the grey/black areas.
Looks like this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzfYgu...VgyTkxvd1k
It's those white lines on each side of the grey/black bars which are not there when using ycbcr but otherwise the bars themselves are at correct levels.
But anyway, really sorry for the off topic part. I'm gonna see what Onkyo/Denon says about it. It's not related to Kodi as i see the same in MPC-HC.
@stromrickard please lets continue discussion on the ticket you created. could you please record a short video of what you are observing.
(2017-01-03, 22:11)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]@stromrickard please lets continue discussion on the ticket you created. could you please record a short video of what you are observing.
I have same issue - on linux version. It stop flickering in window mode, tried refresh rate - no solution.

i suspect AMD and Intel GPU
There is absolutely nothing to suspect, especially not without providing a Debug Log. The linux bug has nothing to do with the windows issue as the fix was DXVA only.
(2016-12-06, 00:01)runel Wrote: [ -> ]For the last couple of Betas (certainly 5&6) I have experienced video stutter (to the degree you cant watch it), UNLESS OSD is on.. Play a movie, it stutters.. display the OSD (any of them I think) and the video plays just fine.. Turn OSD off and video stutters again..

Anybody else experience this?

I just did.

After upgrading from 16.1 to 17RC2 and even the new 18 nightly.

Fixed it by turning on 'Adjust Display Refresh Rate'.
It makes the output shift to match the refresh rate of the video, which is mildly irritating as my TV goes black for about a second when it switch refresh rates.

Seems weird that somehow 16.1 was able to playback 24hz video at 60hz without any problem.

EDIT - whoops spoke too soon. That only fixed playback of 24hz. The 50hz videos still have the same problem. Back to 16.1 I go.. Sad
Something for the future: When highjacking other people's thread and not posting Debug Log those threads are in the future deleted without warning as it wastes everybody's time.
Just to add closure for my specific issue since i brought it up in this thread.
Solution for me was to go to Control panel -> Hardware and sound -> Power options in Windows and change the default value "Balanced" to "High performance" which prevents my (AMD) CPU from being clocked down.
All credits and many thanks to @FernetMenta and the user droland for pointing me to the cause.
As I have had opportunity to test drive the latest nightlies in both Krypton- and Leia-branches and the "original" break-through build from @FernetMenta and @afedchin, I'd like to share my observations. By the way, really fast execution from Kodi-developers, as this fix was very quickly committed to both branches. Big thanks for that Smile As I don't know all the details and what was implemented, I cannot comment more on that.

As said I have lately thrown all the meanest files into these three different Kodi-versions and all are doing great work. But clearly the winner is this "breakthrough"-build, for which I needed to hunt even some dll-libraries. In general HW-decoded files below 100 Mb bitrate works in all these versions. But especially bursts over that will cause frame dropping/skipping in Krypton- and Leia-nightlies. But this special test-build flies with ease.

It would be interesting to know, that were our Videoplayer-gurus able to implement all the fixes to official branches or has this special-build still some extra magic in it?
Are you talking about the build I shared on google drive? Latest video player work is hosted on this branch:
https://github.com/FernetMenta/kodi-agile
(2017-01-10, 22:07)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]Are you talking about the build I shared on google drive? Latest video player work is hosted on this branch:
https://github.com/FernetMenta/kodi-agile

Yes, it was this google drive -build:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2pW5so...sp=sharing
I think that I have the same problem in OSMC (Raspberry Pi 2): http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=313549

I have this problem accesing to a addon content via Kodi's Library when the addon shows a list of streams (it have 2 modes to works: it display a Dialog select OR it performs a ContentUpdate(URI) that enters to the addon)
Hey
I'm having the same problem as the OP on my raspberry pi 3s with libreelec 8.1.0.
Is there meanwhile something I can do about it?
@FernetMenta and @afedchin :
I'll have the exact same issue here on my windows 10 x64 1709 device with kodi "KodiSetup-20180428-94737c2f-master-x64.exe" and an "MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GH LP OC 2GB" gpu with 397.31 driver.
I have enabled adjust refresh rate & dxva2. When i disable dxva2, the issue is gone.
With enabled dxva2 and an osd (info, playercontrols, debug infos, ...) is in foreground, there are also no dropped frames.
I have made a debug log and played "batman begins" for 30secs with over 100 dropped frames, then i'll have activated debug infos (ctrl-shift-o) and they disapeared.

Here is the debug log: removed because clean logs was added in the next post!

The only workaround is to deactivate dxva2.
can you please look into it?
I am here to test :-)

thx
pOpY
Hey guys.

Have made a clean install of kodi "KodiSetup-20180428-94737c2f-master-x64.exe", installed just EmbyCon (to access my media).
With default settings:
  • dont change refreshrate & sync to display disabled -> a 24fps movie is running without the stutter but every second a frame is dropped (because display 50hz <> movie 24fps)
  • dont change refreshrate & sync to display enabled -> a 24fps movie is running without the stutter @104% speed with no stutter at all -> this is my workaround for now.
  • change refreshrate & sync to display doesnt matter (tried on and off) -> the behaviour i have described with the osd
I have made two debug logs:
Will go with the workaround for now.
I have the identical issue on two windows 10x64 clients (same kodi build & same nvidia gpu)
Can you please look at it (maybe @FernetMenta  & @afedchin )

thx
pOpY
Popy, I raised this issue in the Windows subforum here, as this is the Linux section you might want to try posting in that thread.  I thought it was really strange that nobody else chimed in because having experienced the problem on hardware ranging from a NUC i3 Intel GPU through to 5820k/1080Ti systems, it clearly affects a broad range of hardware.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7