Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Backup Video Library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's my situation. I'm using LibreELEC alpha and I guess it won't be long before LibreELEC 8 is released. I reckon that for every major version upgrade a fresh install is recommended (7-->8 = fresh install; 7.x--> 7.y = manual update).

My movies and TV shows are stored in an external HDD, so I won't lose any data, but I'll lose my library.
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Backup_the_video_library
says: "This guide will show you how to backup the video library using NFO files and local images."

If these "NFO files and local images" are stored in the movie folder inside my HDD (Movie Title (year)) then it won't be any different than using a software like Media Elch or Tiny Media Manager?

I very much prefer online scrapers rather than "local information only", or at least I'd like to have my "local information" stored in a folder inside my Kodi/LibreELEC installation and not my HDD. Too much of an hassle? Or, is it even possible? Or maybe this is what the How-to explains, and I just didn't get it...
(2016-12-07, 13:16)number6 Wrote: [ -> ]I reckon that for every major version upgrade a fresh install is recommended (7-->8 = fresh install; 7.x--> 7.y = manual update).

Not to my knowledge, you just have to manually update it. Libre will only update itself with minor versions, but you can manually place the tarball in the update folder.
1) you can export it all as one file into a set location, but if you do this then artwork doesn't import properly afterwards.

2) If you export as separate files, then yes, the .nfo and associated artwork ends up next to your movies, but, this will be exactly the same as you have already scraped from online. The advantage is that with an import, no online scraping take place so it's much faster.

Anything you add to the library later that doesn't have local files will be scraped in the usual way by the on-line scrapers.
Thanks for your answers guys!
(2016-12-07, 14:51)helta Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-07, 13:16)number6 Wrote: [ -> ]I reckon that for every major version upgrade a fresh install is recommended (7-->8 = fresh install; 7.x--> 7.y = manual update).

Not to my knowledge, you just have to manually update it. Libre will only update itself with minor versions, but you can manually place the tarball in the update folder.

OK then, let's just say I'd like a fresh installation this time. I've spent the last 6 months installing devel/alpha versions one over another, messing up with the settings, adding skins... I'd like a fresh start Smile
I'll keep it in mind for LE 9, though.

(2016-12-07, 15:02)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]1) you can export it all as one file into a set location, but if you do this then artwork doesn't import properly afterwards.

2) If you export as separate files, then yes, the .nfo and associated artwork ends up next to your movies, but, this will be exactly the same as you have already scraped from online. The advantage is that with an import, no online scraping take place so it's much faster.

Anything you add to the library later that doesn't have local files will be scraped in the usual way by the on-line scrapers.

Since my library is full of rare files, I like the versatility of Library Managers, but I admit I prefer online scrapers. If backup = a bunch of NFO + jpg's, then I'll do it myself with my favorite media manager: I can modify the artwork, the plot and so on, and it'll stay like that forever. I just need to re-read the importwatchedstate part of the guide, I remember the "mark as watched" flag didn't work very well with Tiny Media Manager (but maybe it does with Media Elch and others? I need to try).
(2016-12-07, 16:19)number6 Wrote: [ -> ]I just need to re-read the importwatchedstate part of the guide, I remember the "mark as watched" flag didn't work very well with Tiny Media Manager (but maybe it does with Media Elch and others? I need to try).

Add-on:Trakt (wiki) has saved my life on multiple occasions. The wife used to lose the plot with me if our library ever got scrambled and had to be rebuilt..
Me: "Did we watch this already?", "We saw that one, didn't we?"
The Boss: Angry Angry
Never again!