Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 17 Over 16.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, folks. I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere, as I'm sure it must have been and I just can't find it, but can one install Krypton over Jarvis and keep the existing addons and setup, or must a fellow start from scratch once more? Thanks for taking the time to read.
I think I just found an answer to my question (d'oh!), but having no idea when the article was written could someone confirm if this is still the case?

3.1 How do I upgrade from v16 to v17?
Main page: Installing
ANDROID USERS: Don't uninstall an earlier version of Kodi/XBMC before installing the new version. Uninstalling first would remove all of your settings. Just install the new version and it will replace the older version and retain your settings.
In most cases you can just install Kodi v17 over Kodi v16. All your settings and library are saved and will continue to work in the new version. See Installing for specific install instructions.
Most basic (video, audio, etc) add-ons that worked in Kodi v16 should still work in v17.
If you have any issues (settings not being copied over, blank screens, etc) when updating from versions older than v14: remove the new version, install the older version of Kodi/XBMC from http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/ , and then upgrade to the next version. In other words, if you have v14, first install v15 and run Kodi, Quit Kodi and then install v16 and run Kodi. Quit Kodi again and install v17, then run Kodi.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v17_(Krypton)..._to_v17.3F
Yes it will work but there is no guarantee that 3rd party add-ons will be compatible. Depends if the add-ons devs have updated and anticipated Kodi 17. A lot will wait until at least the RC release before they make critical changes.
Many thanks, Dangelus.
If you care about working DTS passthrough support don't upgrade! They broke DTS Passthrough in Krypton on Android!
(2016-12-10, 20:53)hogfan Wrote: [ -> ]If you care about working DTS passthrough support don't upgrade! They broke DTS Passthrough in Krypton on Android!

They do not "brake" DTS Passthrough in Krypton

They just remove the "hacky" code that allow it to work on devices that do not follow standard API

If you want to blame someone, you should blame your android device manufacturer