Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi without network?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it possible to configure Kodi (OpenELEC) to operate with local USB media and controlled by Kore (or Yatse) without having to connect via ethernet or wifi?

I have a Pi3 with a HiFiBerry Amp+ that I'd like to use in different locations without having to connect to a network. IOW, I don't want to have to attach a monitor every time I move the device to a different location/network, but that's the only way I am presently aware of to connect the device so that it will work.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Kore and Yatse require network connection to communicate between the devices.
You can connect yatse (and presumably kore) to the pi's own AP and use it that way. That's what I do in the car if I'm connecting a pi.
(2016-12-09, 00:25)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]You can connect yatse (and presumably kore) to the pi's own AP and use it that way. That's what I do in the car if I'm connecting a pi.

Awesome! What settings would I need to do that?
Still looking for some help on this.

Explanation: I am giving a Pi3/HiFiBerry Amp+ setup to a family member as a gift, but there isn't a way to attach a monitor to the Pi at the destination. So I need to be able to configure the device on my network, then shut down, transport to the new destination and access the settings at the new installation point without a monitor for long enough to reconfigure the network for their wifi settings.

Any help is appreciated.
Set up an AP in openelec settings, enter SSID / passphrase, reboot pi, connect phone to that wireless network and yatse should find kodi. I don't recall any particular problems setting it up.
Not sure how that would work for configuring with the new wifi though.
Can you plug the pi into the router at the new place? If so I'd install a vnc on the pi, then access it from a pc at the new destination. That's as good as a monitor.
(2016-12-10, 18:35)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]Set up an AP in openelec settings, enter SSID / passphrase, reboot pi, connect phone to that wireless network and yatse should find kodi. I don't recall any particular problems setting it up.
Not sure how that would work for configuring with the new wifi though.
Can you plug the pi into the router at the new place? If so I'd install a vnc on the pi, then access it from a pc at the new destination. That's as good as a monitor.
Tried that, but neglected to select the 'allow control by other systems' or whatever it was. I'll give it a go later.

What about the web interface? Wouldn't that work also? Again, this is just a case where if one moves a Kodi device from one system to another without a monitor, ability to access the settings to join whatever local network there is would be a handy thing to have. Seems the devs are planning on making this more prominent in v17, but there are timing issues at hand... if you know what I mean.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Web_interface
No idea on that, sorry - I'm a novice with web interface.
Never seen the point of Kodi without a screen. If you want a music player there are far better solutions than Kodi imho.
(2016-12-11, 01:05)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Never seen the point of Kodi without a screen. If you want a music player there are far better solutions than Kodi imho.
Kodi without a screen plays music, serves videos and makes possible a upnp-supplied kodi library - exactly the same as the one at home - that can be accessed on a tablet. Which is exactly what I want for long journeys in the car - entertainment for the front and back seats.
If you can suggest a better option to give me all that I'm all ears.
Serves videos? I have a server for that.
Upnp? Hate it.
Much prefer lms/squeezebox for music.
(2016-12-11, 01:41)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Serves videos? I have a server for that.
Upnp? Hate it.
Much prefer lms/squeezebox for music.
You have a server in your car?
Fine. Tell me how I can sort something out to stick in my car that lets me play music and access my kodi library. That takes around 5 minutes to sort out using my existing hardware - a couple of android tablets, a pi3 and a bunch of portable drives.
I don't generally use the upnp function - but it's there.
Otherwise all this is just 'It doesn't fit my needs.'

Edit: the other aspect you're failing to consider is familiarity. If you're already familiar with a piece of software it takes a lot less time, stress and effort to make it work for you - even if something else might be otherwise more suited to the job.
Sure. So how are you accessing your library in the car - are you networked back to your house?
One of my backups is on portable drives for that very reason - to be able to easily take the library with me.
So what serves it up in the car?
Pages: 1 2