Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: unable to upgrade to beta 17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi
I have a himedia q5 android media player with kodi version 16.1. kodi was installed in the box when I bought it (in Thailand , use in USA ). I have upgraded a couple times in the google play App Store. I want to try a beta version 17 and with different install methods either get error app not installed or
There was a problem parsing the package

i did not uninstall the 16.1 in fear I may not be able to get 16.1 back on. plus the main menu. in the himedia has a large kodi button. I'm thinking if I uninstall That button won't be there

any suggestions to 'upgrade ' to a beta version ? will I need to uninstall the existing kodi ?

thanks
What version android are you using? I think 17 needs at least 5.0 / lollipop.
hi. I am new to androids ( only this media player is android )

my system Info screen shows this info for operating system

Android 4.4.2 API level 19 (kernel: Linux 3.10.0_s40)

I am familiar with upgrading OS in Windows , iPhone , no idea in android
Hardware big fish if his means anything

cpu
arm v7 processor rev1 v71
It's not possible to install 17 then. 5.0 is level 20 or 21, can't remember which. You've hit a brick wall anyway, unless there's an android update available.
only thing is i have upgraded 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years when non beta versions were available on then Google play App. right now v16.1 Jarvis is running fine upgraded some time ago

is there some difference in upgrading from google play ? I am at the latest Google play version

or is 16.1 Jarvis for older android operating systems ?

also any suggestions how to upgrade the android OS ? I am good with upgrades just not sure in android
No idea, sorry - it's device-specific. Maybe try freaktab but I wouldn't hold your breath.
It's nothing to do with Google Play - kodi 17 just won't run on anything less than android 5.0 by design.
(2016-12-11, 04:35)traittt7 Wrote: [ -> ]only thing is i have upgraded 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years when non beta versions were available on then Google play App. right now v16.1 Jarvis is running fine upgraded some time ago

is there some difference in upgrading from google play ? I am at the latest Google play version

or is 16.1 Jarvis for older android operating systems ?

also any suggestions how to upgrade the android OS ? I am good with upgrades just not sure in android
just to note before I had 16.0 Jarvis and tried to install a beta version i had this same error "There was a problem parsing the package". then when the 16.0 came out it installed fine from Google play

not to say your theory is not correct ,'this makes me think it may be something else keeping the upgrade from
installing as prior i had error 'There was a problem parsing the package'
It's not a theory. If you want to waste your time carry on.
ok
If anyone else has a second opinion to validate or deny trogggy's comments i welcome them

as i have not ever upgraded the android os i am sure it's likely there may be an update i can Try to upgrade the android Os.

also anyone know when the next official non beta release comes out v17 or v18 ?
(2016-12-11, 04:56)traittt7 Wrote: [ -> ]ok
If anyone else has a second opinion to validate or deny trogggy's comments i welcome them
How about the kodi wiki?
Quote: 2.1 Android 5

Kodi v17 now requires that Android devices run Android 5.0 or later.
As troggy said. From the Kodi wiki,

2.1 Android 5

Kodi v17 now requires that Android devices run Android 5.0 or later.

If you autoupdate using Google Play, Google won't update unless Android 5 or higher is installed
thanks for the info
i upgraded my firmware , thought the box crashed come to find out the firmware update worked but changed the resolution to 1080p so my 720p tv did not display a picture. i connected it to my 1080 p tv and Changed to 720p now it works on my 720p tv. only Thing is it did upgrade the firmware but not the android software it is still at Android 4.4.2 I emailed himedia to see if they know if a way to upgrade only the Android software. I did the firmware upgrade because it was the only option I saw for upgrade. there may be another way to upgrade the android software with an android app or something. thanks
(2016-12-11, 19:06)traittt7 Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for the info
i upgraded my firmware , thought the box crashed come to find out the firmware update worked but changed the resolution to 1080p so my 720p tv did not display a picture. i connected it to my 1080 p tv and Changed to 720p now it works on my 720p tv. only Thing is it did upgrade the firmware but not the android software it is still at Android 4.4.2 I emailed himedia to see if they know if a way to upgrade only the Android software. I did the firmware upgrade because it was the only option I saw for upgrade. there may be another way to upgrade the android software with an android app or something. thanks

Don't waste your time, Himedia won't release Android 5 for such an old device.
You're stuck with Kodi 16.1
Pages: 1 2