Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Question re:upnp and VPN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I notice on my Kodi box (Tx3), if I have my VPN (PIA) enabled, I cannot see the files on my upnp server (both are running kodi 16.1).

If I disable the VPN, it works fine. Is there a work around for this, so I can leave the VPN enabled all the time and still see my server, or do I have to continue to exit and enable the VPN for other uses?

Thanks
Telecoms theory here rather than practice - it depends on how your VPN is implemented...

The VPN creates a tunnel from one network adapter to another. All traffic destined for that first adapter (your LAN connection) is now forced down this tunnel and out the other end (the VPN server).

What you're looking for is split tunnelling - an intelligent VPN that knows that packet x is destined for the LAN (so keeps it locally) versus y as a WAN packet (so sends it down the tunnel). You can do it with multiple network cards/NICs, e.g. if your system also has WiFi, but the configuration can get messy; it's probably also dependent on your OS (Android?) being able to cope with twin routes.

If that's not easily configurable (e.g. if your VPN provider doesn't support split tunnelling and you can't find one that does) then dropping your VPN is the only practical option (or have the VPN running on your router or a proxy server). Kodi doesn't demand that you use a VPN for anything, after all, so this depends on your own personal use case.

Not an answer, but might give you more to be looking for, at least!
Thanks for the reply... found the solution was far easier than I thought... hadn't bothered to check settings, since usually defaults are best and with only the IR remote (keyboard/trackpad combo on the way, thankfully), it's a bit of a pita (toggle from mouse pointer to arrows, etc)..

Anyway, there was a setting that blocked local network... turned it off and all is well.