Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 17 , 18 and future versions Android software
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello
I have an Android media player with Android version 4.4.2. It is running well at this time with Jarvis 16.1

i saw kodi version 17 soon to come and 17 beta will need Android version 5 at minimum

so couple questions. will there be a point in time in the future with jarvis 16.1 where it will no longer function well or be able to use the video plug in's?

i saw some similar upgraded media players to mine come with android version 5.1
if i did buy a different media player would android version 5.1 be sufficient or will there likely be a time in the future that newer kodi releases may require later android versions like version 7 (i think latest )

thanks
Jarvis itself will continue to function exactly as it is. However it will of course no longer get new features and bug fixes that may go into Krypton or newer versions.

Also the same applies to add-ons - there may be some of those which require new features or functionality in the newer core versions, and so those add-ons will not work with older versions like Jarvis.

So it's very much a question of what you need Kodi to do, and what add-ons you may want to use with it. If those are not able to be supported by Jarvis and you need the newer versions of Kodi, then you'll need hardware and firmware suitable to support that. At the moment for Krypton you need Android Lollipop, but future versions may need newer versions of Android still depending on what's on (and over) the horizon feature-wise.