Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: IR Remote for XBMC Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there - I'm building a Linux HTPC for the purpose of running XBMC Linux (I know it's super pre-alpha, just getting it set up).

Is there a recommendation for an IR remote? Many of the HTPC cases come with an IR receiver, but the comments are mostly about how the IR receiver (and VFD) don't work.

Thanks!
-Mark
I see you crossposted on AVS forum, lol

I got VERY LIMITED experience, I'll just say this, it seems like RCA6 works quite bad, not only with Lirc but maybe (not 100% verified) even bad on WinMCE

And with bad I mean bad response. Don't take this at face value it's just a friendly tip to try whatever you buy first
There was a similar thread posted a few days ago.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=28531

I posted a few links and suggestions regarding the mcusb (Remote, Keyboard and USB IR-recivier ) It's working quite nicely, I've witnessed some minor hickups but they might be because of low battery level.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=159...stcount=83 (and the posts around that number)
I too am using the 2nd gen MCE remote (USB) and so far so good. I do find that it needs a bit of "debounce" work as sometimes it will double key but in hunting aorund it looks like there might be some way to tweak lirc some. If you install on top of Mythbuntu you will also find that this remote, and others, can be setup during the install process - quite nice! Sadly only the media type keys work on the IRDA keyboard - oh well, map those another time maybe. IRFW, think that's ight, is an excellent commandline program for testing the remote response I've found.

Ekurin that's a terrific price on the remote! Using your instructions, and before I fooudn out about Mythbuntu, I did run into one bump that I detailed in a response -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=159...stcount=90 One of the files is 404 in the tutorial now but Archive.org has a copy :-)

Now I'm looking for a HTPC case - one that will take a ful sized board and not require a first born as collataral...
I'm using MS MCE 2005 and it works good enough for me. It's repeat rate is a little hig but that's just a small adjustment
mace Wrote:I'm using MS MCE 2005 and it works good enough for me. It's repeat rate is a little hig but that's just a small adjustment

Have you made the adjustment? If so could you briefly explain what you did? I've not yet had time to dig into lirc to find out how tofix this and suspect that most anyone who uses it will be irritated by it.

Hrm, not sure which exact MCE remote I've got. USB, decent length cable, and I defined it as being the second revision model when I setup Myth.Eek
it says RC6 (sorry not rca6), it has a MCE button, it's from this year dunno if it's 2005 model or not, and I use mceusb2 with lirc

But compared to the org remote with Xbox this is so baaaaad I lack words.
Elupus recently fixed so repeat should be less of an issue, that just leaves 2 issues:

SPEED: it has none
RELIABILITY: sometimes it doesn't pick up keypresses (can take 2-3 tries)
$40 isn't a good price, that's the normal price. This is a good price.
BLKMGK Wrote:Ekurin that's a terrific price on the remote! Using your instructions, and before I fooudn out about Mythbuntu, I did run into one bump that I detailed in a response -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=159...stcount=90 One of the files is 404 in the tutorial now but Archive.org has a copy :-)

Now I'm looking for a HTPC case - one that will take a ful sized board and not require a first born as collataral...

I just linked the first result I got on Google Wink However I noticed the same repeat rate problem as well. The IR keyboard compared to the remote is quite horrible regarding the repeat rate. Especially when holding the arrow keys it seems to go into a loop. I haven't done any adjustments yet or taken a look at the drivers. However I think the Remote is working almost perfectly.
I actually changed the source code in XBMC to drop the repeat rate but it seems like Elupus fixed it properly. I think the best thing would be a repeatrate setting in lircmap.xml. Then it could be easily adjusted for each remote and for each users own preference
a recommendation for an ir remote would be great for me too.
The windows MCE remote is best supported and works great out of the box.