Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: codec info for music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
never thought about this within kodi.
is there a way to see the codec info of a song being played?
Peppe
I use Aeon MQ7 (for Jarvis) and it allows you a choice of different Music Screens. Two of them show the codec info.

So there must be, but I don't know what the info labels are.

Another idea was to put some file/codec things, like bit rate and channels, into the library too as song properties so that users could make smart playlists or custom nodes based on them. But I am in the dark about getting the fundamental codec data from the file. If someone could give me a hint that would be great. Smile
MusicPlayer.BitRate

MusicPlayer.Channels

MusicPlayer.BitsPerSample

MusicPlayer.SampleRate

MusicPlayer.Codec

http://kodi.wiki/view/InfoLabels
Thanks for the info labels @braz, that's the current playing info.

@peppe there is also discussion of video diagnostic dialog http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2352990 that might be of interest. I assume that applies to music too.

Getting bit rate and channels as part of the music file scanning process, that retrieves tag data and scrapes NFOs etc., will need something else of course. I wonder if Kodi has a utility that would get that data from a file without playing it?
So info are available, somewhere, the solution is recall from a skin. A great goal could be use ctrl+alt+o like in krypton for codec video info. Also using in scraping for smartplaylist is a great idea.
For video Kodi stores a "streamdetails" table obtained from xml file or I guess from ffmpeg when playing a file.

scott s.
(2016-12-16, 16:27)peppe_sr Wrote: [ -> ]never thought about this within kodi.
is there a way to see the codec info of a song being played?
Peppe

Aeon Madnox has some nice views that show this information.
(2016-12-18, 08:47)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]Another idea was to put some file/codec things, like bit rate and channels, into the library too as song properties so that users could make smart playlists or custom nodes based on them.

This would be awesome! :-)
(2016-12-19, 01:18)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]For video Kodi stores a "streamdetails" table obtained from xml file or I guess from ffmpeg when playing a file.
I was hoping it was a file property, much like size or timestamp, that something could easily read during scanning. Mp3tag lists it along with the tags, even Windows will tell me the bitrate of my music files when it llists them in File Explorer. But I need someone from the audio player side of things to tell me if Kodi has a routine that could be used.