Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Automatically change resolution/deinterlacing to match source
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
EDIT: okay, it actually already does more of this than I realised! I'd like to delete this thread, but the forum won't let me! Sorry.

______

There's already a neat feature in Kodi to make it change the output refresh rate to match that of the video that it's playing - switching between 24Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz depending on the source. I use an external video processor, and so I would prefer to have Kodi output the video at native *resolution* (with no upscaling) and also to bypass Kodi's deinterIacing; so, if it's playing an American DVD rip, I want it to output 720x480i@60Hz; for a British DVD, I want 720x576i@50Hz; for a Blu-ray movie rip I want 1920x1080p@24Hz; and so on. As far as I can tell this isn't possible at the moment; you can manually switch to 480p or 576p, but you can't have the player switch resolutions automatically depending on the source, and there doesn't seem to be any way to produce interlaced output at all. (I'm running Kodi 17 beta 6 at the moment, on a Raspberry Pi 3, via LibreELEC 7.90.009).
+1

Modern TVs employ sophisticated, often proprietary, upscaling methods and it makes sense to have an option to send the content in native resolution and leave the upscaling to TV.

Edit: Shasarak, now that I read your Edit, I understand you found a way to send the content in native resolution...?
Is there a way to achieve this automatic resolution change? I need resolution in FHD unless I am playing a 4K content. So I would like KODI to increase resolution to 4K when 4K source is detected.
Why would anyone want to (1) pre-process (through software) a 1080p title and dumb down native display resolution from 2160p to 1080p to play it back?

Versus, (2) pre-process (through software) a 1080p title and feed this improved source to further upscale to 2160p via display algorithms?

Do you think 1 looks better than 2?