Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Home Videos / Camcorder Files. AVCHD/MTS Files.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First time poster..

Hopefully this is the right forum for this, because I think ultimately it would be solved by a video add-on and not a scraper, but I am not 100% sure on this.

I have tons of family home movies, and I'm trying to find the best way to show them on Kodi. Kodi installed on my Fire TV is completely capable of showing the files, the problem is how they are laid out in a standard format (DCIM).

I organize the folders as original "tapes". (ex: December-2015). Each time I copy the entire contents of the camcorder to a folder and then erase the camcorder. This results in "master copies" of the videos. If I edit something in iMovie I'll point to these tapes, ingest the video and edit it. The master files are never modified.

The directory contents are typically:

- tape-20100101 (directory I create)
\-AVCHD
\-BMDV
\-STREAM
+ 00000.MTS
+ 00001.MTS
\- AVC_INFO
+ MODELCFG.IND

The MTS files are the individual clips from the camcorder. These are what I need Kodi to play.

My question is to how best add this to Kodi? I can add just a share and browse into them, but it's painful having to keep dive into each directory.. And then there is no being able to go to "next clip" without getting back to the list of files and then go down, and play the next one.. Finally, I'd love to be able to have metadata available for them taken from the MTS or accompanying file to see date/time shot, etc.

Is there a way to have an NFO file and point them to the individual MTS files? My preference is to not mess with our have to modify the tapes at all. I know I likely could just gather all the MTS files and write NFO files for each of them or automate that, but then I'll have to duplicate all the content and it is not very space efficient.

Good with Python.. So, would it be reasonable to write a video-add-on for this?

Pointers, suggestions, or discussions appreciated.

thanks,

-jr