Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Singles support - deleting hidden generated folder.jpg's deleted art in kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, it's suggested in best practices guide to list all the singles in one big folder. The current situation I have is the singles are in the artist folder, that also has the album folders so for instance

artist
artist/album1/albumsong.mp3
artist/single.mp3
artist/single2.mp3

I had this problem where a hidden folder.jpg was generated at a 200x200 size in singles folders, I used a cmd prompt command to unhide them and deleted them, but now the images are gone when I play these singles songs in kodi. (I know renaming them and rescanning them fixes it but not really up to it, will just wait till new kodi version)

I'm afraid if I put all the singles in one folder and a folder.jpg is generated all their art might be gone too if I delete it because it would give the same art to all the songs.

Any advice on how to go on? One thought I had was to use a program to put all singles in their own subfolders under artist and hopefully find a way to batch process extracting the embedded art in a folder.jpg with mp3tag or something? Or maybe that's not even needed? Does anyone know what creates these hidden folder.jpg's, and if there's a way to prevent it besides having a folder.jpg in place (I have a LOT of songs so it would be a lot of work, my albums do have this folder.jpg though)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
(2016-12-23, 01:13)elra Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, it's suggested in best practices guide to list all the singles in one big folder.
Does it? I wouldn't do that, although I haven't got any singles in my library so take my suggestions under advisement, and I guess how many you have comes into it. I would put them under artist folders assuming that I had quite a few per artist.

Quote:The current situation I have is the singles are in the artist folder, that also has the album folders so for instance

artist
artist/album1/albumsong.mp3
artist/single.mp3
artist/single2.mp3
That makes sense to me, although I would probably have artist/singles/single01.mp3 etc. a folder under the artist for all the singles.

Quote:I had this problem where a hidden folder.jpg was generated at a 200x200 size in singles folders, I used a cmd prompt command to unhide them and deleted them, but now the images are gone when I play these singles songs in kodi. (I know renaming them and rescanning them fixes it but not really up to it, will just wait till new kodi version)
Ever find out what created these hidden files? An addon perhaps, it would not have been Kodi core?

A way to get Kodi to rescan fully, without modifying the music file datetime stamp (why renaming the file works), is to use a SQL utility on the db and delete the strHash values (set them to NULL) of the Path table. That could be too hard, but I mention it anyway.

Quote:I'm afraid if I put all the singles in one folder and a folder.jpg is generated all their art might be gone too if I delete it because it would give the same art to all the songs.
If you have albums by artists that you have singles for then putting all the singles in a folder will cause Kodi to look in a silly place for artist art. As I have tried to describe elsewhere, it uses the commom folder for all the artists songs for both art and artist.NFO files. So I would not move your singles.

Quote:Any advice on how to go on? One thought I had was to use a program to put all singles in their own subfolders under artist and hopefully find a way to batch process extracting the embedded art in a folder.jpg with mp3tag or something? Or maybe that's not even needed? Does anyone know what creates these hidden folder.jpg's, and if there's a way to prevent it besides having a folder.jpg in place (I have a LOT of songs so it would be a lot of work, my albums do have this folder.jpg though)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

The folder.jpg I have in my album folders are created by the ripping and tagging software I use. I don't think Kodi made them, although an addon might have done so. But they are not essential (for albums anyway), Kodi will read embedded art from the music files.

I would put all singles in their own subfolders under the artist. I think that is where will work best for Kodi and the way it determines where artist art and nfo fiels are located..

But really best if we can get some input from someone with a singles collection.
Hey Dave thanks for the reply, I may have misread the singles folder thing, they probably meant creating a singles folder in the artist folder.
I found out it was only a limited nr of artists that had this folder.jpg created for, artists that start with a number, a and until and including b. I don't know what created them but through googling I assume it's either Windows or Windows Media Player that did it, probably the latter. It's also possibly it may have been the cdart addon as I've had issues with it before, but I really can't be sure.
I was able to fix the art by using mp3tag to rename the album-less songs that had this folder.jpg created, with a %artist% - %title% - %year% format. I'll keep my folder structure as is for now as it seems to have been a weird problem and not something that should reoccur hopefully.