Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do I play 3D iso movies on Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I enjoy high quality 3d movies on Kodi?
And here is what my question stems from:

I've read a LOT of stuff on the web and just finished googling for almost 2 hours until I finally came across some very high level geek thread on this forum about MVC/kodi box stuff.....

My setup: I have an HTPC (with a decent graphics card and a decent CPU i5 I believe) attached to my home theater setup. I've setup my Marantz sr-5008 receiver/amp so it doesn't do any sound processing and leaves that to my HTPC or Blu ray player. My HTPC is connected via HDMI to the receiver which in turn feeds the Panasonic 3d tv.

Most of my 3d movies in the past have been watched in SBS or TAB (mkvs) and I did notice there's a lack of quality compared to when I play a 3d blu ray disc in my blu ray disc player. But I want to centralize all of my blu ray movies into my HTPC (for home streaming to devices and such) and to watch my movies on KODI. I do enjoy Kodi 100x times more than a stupid incapable blu ray disc player...

MY PROBLEM:

I'm using method #5 (3d ISOs) big 30-50gb files which Kodi is able to read but does not detect the 3d. It just goes ahead and plays the movie in 2d. From what I understand: I need to have an "kodi version that supports MVC" if I want to be able to play the 3d movies and see the blu ray disc menus.

So my question is: Can someone explain to me exactly what I'm to do in SIMPLE english if possible lol Smile If I want to play 3d iso movies so that Kodi detects the 3d in the movie and displays it in FULL HD for both eyes instead of cropping it or reducing it to some lower sbs quality?
I know there are threads about this, but they're awfully technical which is kind of okay, but I need a personilaized answer please.

I'm trying to just begin to understand what happens in kodi that prevents me from playing 3d iso files.
I'm also trying to understand what is mvc and how it affects my problem.
MVC is the encoding on 3D blurays, and isos. Kodi supports MVC decoding in only 2 cases:

1. On raspberry pi; and

2. On windows but only using a specially patched version of kodi developed by afedchin.

Hope that is simple enough.
(2016-12-28, 22:28)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]MVC is the encoding on 3D blurays, and isos. Kodi supports MVC decoding in only 2 cases:

1. On raspberry pi; and

2. On windows but only using a specially patched version of kodi developed by afedchin.

Hope that is simple enough.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I understand there is a special version of kodi that supports mvc but when I go to the thread you guys linked I don't see any "builds" I can download. The links seem to be dead.

EDIT: I see now that the afedchin thread has been closed. Seems like he had some issues with people trying to use his builds with intel/nvidia setups vs NUCs. He decided to close the thread which might explain why the links are dead.

Anyhow, thanks for the input. Hopefully, one day a new Kodi build will be released supporting MVC 3d playback
Almost worth getting an rpi3 just to play these!
Thread has been closed, but development has not.
There are download links for the latest mvc test builds in the first post of the aforementioned thread, or here (seek for builds with "mvc" in their name).

PS you seek for personalised/easy answers, but you fail to provide basic information, like your GPU.
@host505 thanks for pointing to the builds.
Kodi including the support for passive 3D videos formats, however, it lacks the ability to handle both 2D/3D Blu-ray ISO files, therefore, the best solution to fix this issue is transcode 3D Blu-ray ISO to Kodi compatible 3D SBS/TAB/Anaglyph formats.
Or get a raspberry pi.
(2017-02-10, 03:12)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Or get a raspberry pi.
I have Rasberry pi with Libreelec , but which settings I need to set to see 3D MVC ? 
( Why when the TV play the 3D Movie is show me change mode" OVER/UNDER " And not like nuc "Hardwared " , does it okay ? 

Thanks.